Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
06/26/17 at 12:10:43
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lawrence, KS Concert (Read 3506 times)
TeamGriffin
Peter Pan

...raised my voice
to the air and we
were blessed

Lawrence, KS Concert
04/02/10 at 09:20:37

Hello, everyone! I've never posted before, but now that I got the registration sorted out (thanks Jen) I thought I would give it a shot. I was actually lucky enough to go to both the St. Louis and the Lawrence shows last weekend and they were both just completely awesome...which was a real relief because I think I got a grand total of 10 hours sleep in three days so I was exhausted by the end. NO COMPLAINTS! It was my first Patty concert because I sadly spent the last 29 years of my life oblivious to the fact that there was someone out there with this sort of talent, but luckily a rerun of Bones started the ball rolling and, anyway, the concert(s). The set list for Lawrence was the same as the set list for St. Louis, which someone already nicely posted, except for one pretty big difference. Instead of "Top of the World" in her encore, she played "Little god!" Don't get me wrong, I was TOTALLY fine with "Top of the World" as she did a beautiful job and it is one of my favorite songs of hers, but just to hear her pull out a Silver Bell song, especially that one, was pretty awesome. She also gave a little talk before about how it was from an album that had never been released but had been uploaded by someone onto the internet so everyone was welcome to go and get it if they wanted since no one was making any money off of it. She seemed a bit bummed (who wouldn't be) about the situation but also like at this point she'd come to terms with it and just wanted people to enjoy the music. Anyway, it was a crazy little psychedelic love fest there for about five minutes in Liberty Hall. Most people went crazy over it and, to my amusement, others stood there with completely bewildered  Shocked looks trying to figure out how it all went together with their gospel night they'd been having. Ah well, good times.  

Buddy was very funny, especially when they were talking about his "massive coronary" as Patty put it. You wouldn't think that would be a funny topic, but when he got into how he started bidding on really odd items on eBay while heavily medicated, everyone was laughing. I was equally amused by the fact that Patty seemed so into his stories that she forgot she could talk too and just stood off to the side of her microphone laughing.  Smiley

Let me see...this is already freaking long and I apologize but both nights were just so much fun. There's a clip on that video sharing site that rhymes with glue-cube (in case we're not allowed to promote websites on here...I'll have to check that out after I post) that shows her doing "Heavenly Day" in Lawrence, where she told the story about how it was written for Bean (Beanne?) which I knew; however, I'd never heard her put it quite that way. Apparently the dog was passed out in her lap and everything was just so beautiful and right with the world in that moment that she threw Bean off her lap so she could write the song. Anyway, it was really funny when she told it...also that she mentioned it was a beautiful spring day just like that one...only without the rain. We'd all stood outside the theater for upwards of thirty minutes in the rain prior to Liberty Hall opening their doors.

Another funny thing, although probably not for her, was that she had some serious issues with her outfit. It was the same one that I've seen her wear at other events, tannish colored mini with clear beading and tall brown boots, but this time there seemed to be issues with the sound pack on her back getting caught whenever she moved guitars on or off because the dress started lowering quite a bit in the back which resulted in the front...well not lowering to the level I think she would have preferred. She didn't flash anyone or anything but there were some close calls. At one point she said, "Here I am a 46 year old woman wearing a go-go dress that's ridin' up!" This also led into a story about how she is enjoying being 46 and how when she was in her twenty's she had a song called "Pushing Thirty" that she said caused the people in the front row to roll their eyes at her. She said she was so obnoxious when she was younger. Then, after a beat or two, she said that it really was a horrible song so maybe that's why they were rolling their eyes.  Grin

One thing I'm not sure if others have mentioned is that they're donating quite a bit of the money they make off of the concert to a charity that lets you either monetarily support a family or donate things such as goats to them. I wish I still had the paperwork with me so I could remember the name but hopefully it will come to me later. I did get a goat though. If you get to go to one of the concerts, expect to hear A LOT about "The Product Table." It was a recurring gag through the shows but really does go to a pretty awesome cause and they have fun with it.  Cool 

Anyway, both Patty and Buddy were in wonderful voice and seemed to so competely enjoy every moment they were on stage that it made it impossible for the audience not to enjoy themselves. It really is like three shows in one, though. The first part is Buddy Miller featuring Patty Griffin, the second is Patty Griffin featuring Buddy Miller (really and Doug Lancio) and then there are several parts throughout the show where it just turns into a jam session with six musicians that are just there for the love of playing music. It is quite the experience and I'm so glad I was able to go to both shows.  

Sorry if I talked your heads off. I'm just still psyched and now I'm looking at the Tulsa concert with Robert Plant...although I know it will be different than my happy little intimate concerts that I got this weekend. I figure though, they wouldn't jump off of this successful tour and onto that one unless it was going to be something pretty special too.  

p.s. I will try to cut down on the smileys in the future. Also, of all the pictures that I took, the only one that came out well really was of their dark green bus which I took and then immediately felt stupid about because I started wondering if they ever sit in the bus and look at the people that are staring at the bus.... I'm sure they have better things to do with their time, but I know that's probably what I would do. I would also make faces, but that's just me. Also, I normally do not have run-on sentences when I type but I got excited lol.  

~Jessica  Wink

~We're just like anyone else...~
Email View Profile peacefulleaves   IP Logged
blureu
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Re: Lawrence, KS Concert
Reply #1 - 04/02/10 at 09:28:41

Thanks for the review!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Jennifer Caputo
TDtT Administrator

Relax, have a beer -
I'm drinking
Arrogant Bastard

Reply #2 - 04/02/10 at 09:35:44

Welcome to the boards Jessica, you can definitely post the youtube link Smiley  

you can even embed it in the board using the 5th button in the top row (if you hover over it it says "insert media")

Thanks for your review!

Email View Profile WWW traDMB   IP Logged
TeamGriffin
Peter Pan

...raised my voice
to the air and we
were blessed

Reply #3 - 04/02/10 at 10:42:04

I also wanted to add that, while I do love the song on the album, hearing "Coming Home to Me" as a solo was one of the highlights of the evening for me. It is really a very underappreciated song in my opinion and, I'll be honest, I don't know that I really could even make out all the lyrics in the recorded version... but Patty up there by herself with just a guitar singing it was so pretty and soft and heartfelt that it kind of took on a new meaning. Even just the "la la la la..." part was something very sweet and special. So, just wanted to throw out that little bit extra.

Ooooh...I'll admit that I was wondering if she would forget some of the lyrics to the songs because the Samson and Delilah song alone has about a million words, but she sailed through that one without a bit of trouble in both shows. The only slight flub I saw on the first night was that she got lost in the middle of "Mary" but she just kinda mumbled half a line and picked it right back up with a little sideways smile that made me laugh. The second night, she just didn't do the last half of "Little Fire" and I don't really know what happened there, but it seemed to surprise Buddy and Doug as well when she just kinda switched to the end and finished it up...but it was still very pretty what we got to hear of it. Buddy skipped the second verse of Gasoline and Matches in Lawrence which wouldn't have been bad except that they sing the whole song as a duet and so he had to jump back on the train with a super grinning Patty and I couldn't help but wonder if her smile was because this time it was all him that goofed Smiley Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I really shouldn't look for goofs, but it was such a solid and awesome performance that instead of being annoying, they made for endearing little moments in the show.

Okay, now I'm really done...I think  

~Jessica

~We're just like anyone else...~
Email View Profile peacefulleaves   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Recent Posts    
Preferences
Turk Rogers by murph in news
01/13/17 at 10:35:00