Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
01/21/18 at 14:37:56
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Much fan anticipation for Downtown Church? (Read 8692 times)
rob68
Little God

alone and alive

Much fan anticipation for Downtown Church?
11/15/09 at 22:05:56

Just wondering if people are as excited about Downtown Church as they would be for an 'all Patty written' album.

More excited? Less excited? About the same?

Do any of you feel like you wish Patty would stick to the more traditional singer-songwriter material/style?

I'm battling with this myself. I mean, I love songs like Standing, Love Throw A Line, Up To The Mountain etc.....but as far as a whole album's worth of gospel songs, I don't know if I'm super-geeked or possibly thinking maybe she's in over her head a bit?  I'll probably kick myself for even saying this once I hear it, because I'll probably love it.

Anyway, curious to know what others are feeling.

View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Re: Much fan anticipation for Downtown Church?
Reply #1 - 11/16/09 at 11:04:04

Actually, quite a few fans asked if PG would ever do a full gospel album after hearing some of her early recordings of gospel songs. Sometimes artist listen

Email View Profile   IP Logged
dougzilla
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #2 - 11/17/09 at 16:55:14

I'm excited about anything she does, because I think she can put her stamp on any genre she undertakes. Some of my favorite songs are her take on someone else's music.

Hekerui
How do I get Silver Bell?

I really love Patty!

Reply #3 - 11/23/09 at 18:07:12

I find it hard to get exited over a gospel album, but perhaps I'm prejudging. I hope it resembles her previous takes on religious symbolism, as in Mother of God, Mary, The Long Stairs, or UTTM. These songs are lovely, but I don't want something only a Christian could enjoy.

View Profile   IP Logged
Russell
Peter Pan

Reply #4 - 11/24/09 at 11:21:48

Quote from Hekerui on 11/23/09 at 18:07:12:
I find it hard to get exited over a gospel album, but perhaps I'm prejudging. I hope it resembles her previous takes on religious symbolism, as in Mother of God, Mary, The Long Stairs, or UTTM. These songs are lovely, but I don't want something only a Christian could enjoy.

Based on what Patty said in an interview on Musicians Radio a little over a year ago, she is hoping that the album can be enjoyed by folks in her "world, not necessarily Christian, not necessarily anything, but searching, looking around, and respecting things" and who might be "a little afraid of gospel music".  Based on the track selection and what I've heard from the album, she is going to accomplish that goal.  Her two original songs are very much in the Julie Miller mode (in fact, Julie joins her on one of the two), capable of both spiritual and non-spiritual interpretations.  I've tried to create at least some feel for the album at PattyCentral.  Click here to check it out.

marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #5 - 11/26/09 at 02:50:58

I'm looking forward to it for sure!

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Sweet Sonofabitch
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #6 - 12/01/09 at 13:23:26

I admire Patty as a singer. But singers are a dime a dozen. As are great gospel albums. Patty's gift, imo, is songwriting. Since it will barely be exhibited on this album, I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.

Sweet Sonofabitch
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #7 - 12/01/09 at 13:24:15

Btw, anyone know if there's going to be a vinyl release?

Hekerui
How do I get Silver Bell?

I really love Patty!

Reply #8 - 12/03/09 at 07:21:22

Quote from Russell on 11/24/09 at 11:21:48:
Based on what Patty said in an interview on Musicians Radio a little over a year ago, she is hoping that the album can be enjoyed by folks in her "world, not necessarily Christian, not necessarily anything, but searching, looking around, and respecting things" and who might be "a little afraid of gospel music".

That sounds better. Thanks for the info.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c