Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/24/17 at 14:18:32
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Concert (Read 4194 times)
Arlene
Mother of God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Concert
05/04/09 at 09:45:57

Not sure how many Pete Seeger fans are board members but fyi, I attended the Pete Seeger 90th birthday concert in NYC's Madison Square Garden last night. I originally wrote this for the Emmylou board so there's an emphasis on Emmylou's performances but I thought I'd cross-post, in case anyone was interested:  

I was lucky enough to attend Pete Seeger's 90th birthday concert in NYC at Madison Square Garden last night. The show was over 4 and a half hours long and it was filmed by PBS so most of you will probably be able to see an edited version.  

There were over 50 performers and most sang in groups with some interesting combinations. Some of the numbers might have used additional rehearsal but the spirit and joy of the artists and audience members was a thing to behold.  

As for Emmylou, it's always great to hear her perform songs you've never heard her sing before and there were two last night. She was the lead singer on The Water Is Wide with Teddy Thompson doing harmony vocals and a gaggle of McGarrigle family members singing backup (Kate, Anna, Martha and Rufus among others). She also dueted with Arlo Guthrie on a song written by Pete Seeger called Precious Friend You Will Be Here-- Arlo was on guitar but they were backed by The Preservation Hall Jazz Band and it was fun to see Emmylou dancing along with the brass and horns. Emmylou also joined in with many others in a number of songs including We Shall Overcome, This Land Is Your Land and Goodnight Irene but she didn't have any verses in any of those songs.  

The show itself had numerous highlights and I'll be really curious to see what is looks like on TV. Among the special moments were Richie Havens' version of Freedom/Motherless Child; Joan Baez singing Where Have All The Flowers Gone and Jacob's Ladder; Pete Seeger leading 20,000 in 3 part harmony on Amazing Grace; Taj Mahal and Tom Morello on Waist Deep in the Big Muddy; Bernice Johnson Reagon leading lots of performers on We Shall Overcome and This Little Light of Mine; Roger McGuinn singing Turn, Turn, Turn; Steve Earle, Taj Mahal and Pete doing Sailing Up, Sailing Down; Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello dueting on The Ghost of Tom Joad; The McGarrigle/Wainright Family (Kate, Anna, Rufus, Martha and others) on Fare Thee Well My Honey; Arlo Guthrie and Del McCourey on O Mary Don't You Weep; Kris Kristofferson, Taj Mahal, Ramblin' Jack and Richie Havens on Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More; and Steve Earle,Taj Mahal and Warren Hayes on a blues number I'd never heard before that was terrific.  

Other performances included Ani DiFranco and Bruce Cockburn dueting on Which Side Are You On; Kris Kristofferson and Ani DiFranco singing There's A Hole in The Bucket; Dave Matthews singing Rye Whiskey; John Mellencamp on If I Had a Hammer; Tom Morello and Tom Paxton on John Henry; Arlo Guthrie and Ramblin' Jack Elliot on It Takes A Worried Man; Dar Williams and Billy Bragg on Union Maid; Tommy Sands on Little Boxes, and lots of lots of others.  

Ordinarily I hate stadium or arena shows but this one was really special.  

Arlene

« Last Edit: 05/04/09 at 13:13:08 by Arlene »  
View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Re: Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Concert
Reply #1 - 05/04/09 at 11:19:08

Quote from Arlene on 05/04/09 at 09:45:57:

Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello dueting on The Ghost of Tom Jones  

edit for Arlene

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Arlene
Mother of God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/04/09 at 13:14:14

Quote from murph on 05/04/09 at 11:19:08:
Quote from Arlene on 05/04/09 at 09:45:57:

Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello dueting on The Ghost of Tom Jones  

edit for Arlene

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Thanks for catching that. "It's not unusual...." for me to make typos.  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
gala002
Mother of God

You are the BEST for
me

Reply #3 - 05/09/09 at 19:04:00

Both of you Arlene and Jim are making a so wonderful job.

Thanks

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Recent Posts    
Preferences
NPR's Top 150 CD's of all time by female artist by murph in news
07/24/17 at 14:35:33