Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
06/15/19 at 21:58:05
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Silver Bell" Top Of The World vs. New Version (Read 13904 times)
Leroiestmort72
Little God

You never get what
you want.  Do
ya baby?

"Silver Bell" Top Of The World vs. New Version
04/20/07 at 08:32:28

What I wanted to write in that subject line if I had enough space was this:  "Silver Bell" Top Of The World vs. "Impossible Dream" Top Of The World.   I have listened to both versions numerous times, and I have to say there are many differences in the two versions.  The SB version seems to contain much heartache and emotion translated to the way Patty sings it, and the percussion that accompanies it.  Also at the end of the song when Patty's mother sings the beautiful background vocals, it really adds to the melancholy.  The television playing in the background is also a very heartbreaking touch.  In the "Impossible Dream" version, we know that Patty re-recorded this several years after SB, so it seems listening to the virtually percussionless arrangement and Patty's much more subdued vocals that she has created a version that is more calm, comforted and projects an aura of a  "healing" she has acquired since the last arrangement.    This is just my interpretation.  Any other thoughts on this?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Re: "Silver Bell" Top Of The World vs. New Version
Reply #1 - 04/20/07 at 09:00:42

Contractual requirements made it necessary for her to change the arrangement

NO matter how many times you listen to the song now, most people have the "pop" version from the Chick also playing in their heads, which could make you hear different things in the new song

Leroiestmort72
Little God

You never get what
you want.  Do
ya baby?

Reply #2 - 04/20/07 at 12:00:29

Contractural agreements aside, they are both amazing, unique versions of the songs.   I have literally heard the Chicks version once.   I don't pay any mind to it because to me, there is Patty's music in this huge untouchable category, and then there's "everything else".    

marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #3 - 04/22/07 at 15:58:09

I prefer the Silver Bell version myself.

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Leroiestmort72
Little God

You never get what
you want.  Do
ya baby?

Reply #4 - 04/23/07 at 12:16:36

Also, "Mother Of God" has two very unique versions between SB and ID.  I love how the SB version merges into "One More Girl" and how the Impossible Dream version kind of lingers with Patty's added vocals and piano solo.  She has somehow, on several occasions managed to perfect a song two different ways.   She is so brilliant.

marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #5 - 05/15/07 at 08:32:05

I still like Patty playing Silver Bell alone on her guitar best, I think!  

I know that spot you mean in Mother of God, where it goes over into One More Girl....the best moment on the album for me. One More Girl is my favorite song on Silver Bell.

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Tanner
Peter Pan

Reply #6 - 05/16/07 at 09:15:51

I listened to the Silver Bell album for the very first time this morning (thanks to Analog Kid!) and I firmly believe that this version's TOTW is night and day, head and shoulders above Impossible Dream's.  I generally prefer purely acoustic to studio-made tracks, but Silver Bell's version is SO much more fleshed out and emotional that it chilled my bones when Patty came in at the end.  I've listened to that part a dozen times now, and it's like an orgasm to my ears.

Also, I was clearly giving The Dixie Chicks WAY too much credit for their version.  Prior to today, I thought that their arrangement had been solely derived from the Impossible Dream TOTW, which highly impressed me.  Now, I see how much the Chicks copy-catted SB.  

I should've known! Roll Eyes

Further impressions about Silver Bell - Patty undoubtedly picked the right songs to keep around.  I really wasn't crazy about anything on the first half of the album, but loved nearly all of the second half.  Making Pies was a lot more enjoyable for me, without the accordian.  The seamless bridge between Mother Of God and One More Girl (a track that should've made it off the shelf) was a great touch - but I'll take Impossible Dream's extended version of MoG with its "happy" ending.

View Profile   IP Logged
rubyblue
Little God

Reply #7 - 05/16/07 at 20:46:48

i love the Silver Bell version immensely, particularly the bit with "J'irai La Voir Un Jour" in the middle, and the build up that happens right there.  there's also something rather chilling about the song that adds to the story.

(formerly ringo902)

You never get to give it all you’ve got / Cause you forgot to take it to the top / Oh, Ruby Blue
View Profile WWW baublesofgold   IP Logged
jlo05u
How do I get Silver Bell?

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #8 - 05/19/07 at 15:34:39

Hi, I was just wondering if you know how to get a copy of "Silver Bell".  I haven't been a Patty Griffin fan for very long but this is the only album of hers I do not have.  I would love to get it!

View Profile   IP Logged
DB Caulfield
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/07 at 07:13:34

Quote from Tanner on 05/16/07 at 09:15:51:
I listened to the Silver Bell album for the very first time this morning (thanks to Analog Kid!) and I firmly believe that this version's TOTW is night and day, head and shoulders above Impossible Dream's.  I generally prefer purely acoustic to studio-made tracks, but Silver Bell's version is SO much more fleshed out and emotional that it chilled my bones when Patty came in at the end.  I've listened to that part a dozen times now, and it's like an orgasm to my ears.

Also, I was clearly giving The Dixie Chicks WAY too much credit for their version.  Prior to today, I thought that their arrangement had been solely derived from the Impossible Dream TOTW, which highly impressed me.  Now, I see how much the Chicks copy-catted SB.  

I should've known! Roll Eyes

Further impressions about Silver Bell - Patty undoubtedly picked the right songs to keep around.  I really wasn't crazy about anything on the first half of the album, but loved nearly all of the second half.  Making Pies was a lot more enjoyable for me, without the accordian.  The seamless bridge between Mother Of God and One More Girl (a track that should've made it off the shelf) was a great touch - but I'll take Impossible Dream's extended version of MoG with its "happy" ending.

I agree w/ your take on TotW. We don't share the same opinion of the first half of SB though. This is actually my favorite PG album start to finish. Little God, Boston, Perfect White Girls, Truth #2, What You Are, Silver Bell? D@mn that is a hot set. I'm not a collector of shows but I have to go to the trading section now and see if I can wrangle me a show where she performs Sooner Or Later and the rest of these songs. D@mn, I got a jones.

IP Logged
dougzilla
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #10 - 05/22/07 at 17:13:58

I know this wasn't one of the two choices, but the live, Austin City Limits version, is the only Top of the World that I have in my head. Maybe it was because it was the first time that I heard it, but I haven't heard its equal since

Analog Kid
Peter Pan

Starving Artist

Reply #11 - 06/05/07 at 19:17:36

Quote from jlo05u on 05/19/07 at 15:34:39:
Hi, I was just wondering if you know how to get a copy of "Silver Bell". I haven't been a Patty Griffin fan for very long but this is the only album of hers I do not have. I would love to get it!

Is there a way to make my post about this a sticky?  Because this question comes up in pretty frequent cycles.

PM me your address and I'll send it to you.  It has never been available commercially.

Email View Profile WWW piaggiop180   IP Logged
Leroiestmort72
Little God

You never get what
you want.  Do
ya baby?

Reply #12 - 06/07/07 at 12:23:34

Quote from Tanner on 05/16/07 at 09:15:51:
I listened to the Silver Bell album for the very first time this morning (thanks to Analog Kid!) and I firmly believe that this version's TOTW is night and day, head and shoulders above Impossible Dream's.  I generally prefer purely acoustic to studio-made tracks, but Silver Bell's version is SO much more fleshed out and emotional that it chilled my bones when Patty came in at the end.  I've listened to that part a dozen times now, and it's like an orgasm to my ears..

For us hopeless male fans that are attracted to Patty, we all wish we could hear Patty's "O" in our ears ocasionally.   Certain songs really help it along, i.e. the very last vocal high note at the end of "Wiggley Fingers".  Anyone?   ANYONE?

ScottG40
Mother of God

Reflections that
told you that they
were not there

Reply #13 - 06/07/07 at 21:36:38

Hmmmm. Patty's orgasmic "Ohhhh!" during Stay on the Ride?
And how about that sexy ass moan at the beginning of Breakin' Up Somebody's Home?
A little artful editing and you're on your way to screaming Pattygasm. Hehe.

« Last Edit: 06/07/07 at 21:58:51 by ScottG40 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Leroiestmort72
Little God

You never get what
you want.  Do
ya baby?

Reply #14 - 06/08/07 at 07:45:29

Sounds like a whole new topic altogether - - What are the most sultry sounding songs by Patty, as far as how she sings them, or songs.   I started this post on the General Discussion board. Now it should get pretty interesting.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c