Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/24/17 at 14:14:17
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lori McKenna (Read 12274 times)
mbgriffith1
How do I get Silver Bell?

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Lori McKenna
01/20/07 at 15:03:31

First, I should say Patty Griffin is my favorite artist of all time. However, I have finally found an artist that I feel is *almost* as good. I don't know how many of you have heard of Lori McKenna, but I have recently discovered the wonder that is her music. Her music is definitely not the same as Patty's, but, in my opinion, has many similarities. Lori's profile has recently increased with the inclusion of three of her songs on Faith Hill's new album (whose covers DO NOT do the songs justice). In my opinion, Lori's highlights include Fireflies, Ruby's Shoes, Paper Wings and Halo, Don't Tell Her, Born For You, Stealing Kisses, and As I Am. At first, I found her sound a little different, but I slowly began to love every one of her songs and have since downloaded every single one off of Itunes. I'd love to hear from any other Lori fans out there.

Her website: LoriMckenna.com

View Profile   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Re: Lori McKenna
Reply #1 - 01/23/07 at 03:15:29

From one mb to another, I love Lori....there used to be a Lori thread on here, but I can't seem to find it anymore....

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
PCStuff
Big Daddy

Does Anyone Really
Know What Time It
Is?

Reply #2 - 01/25/07 at 23:55:05

yeah, there was a long thread here....I know because I started it.  In all likelihood, DB deleted it because it got more attention than his DB's (lame) recommended listening thread--LOL!  

I have all her CD's that I ripped to high quality MP3's:  

• Bittertown
  • The Kitchen Tapes
  • Pieces of Me
  • Paper Wings & Halo

There are also a bunch of songs from KCRW & WUMB (Boston) radio performances that I captured and converted to MP3's.  New songs like these that may still be at this link:

• "The Exploding Man"
  • "Your Next Lover"  
  • "Witness To Your Life"  
  • "Like Noone Ever Hurt You At All"  
  • "How Romantic Is That"  
  • "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails songs made famous by Johnny Cash...that is just exquisite from Lori,  Dec 2004)
  • "In Your Eyes" on ITunes which is from "High School Reunion"
  • "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" (look under "d" at above link)

Also a bunch of bootleg concerts floating around.  There is also a pretty good thread going here.

« Last Edit: 01/26/07 at 00:31:01 by PCStuff »  
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mbgriffith1
How do I get Silver Bell?

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #3 - 01/29/07 at 19:46:45

Good to hear from other Lori fans. She really is amazing. Although, I have to say that I really like the Bittertown CD least (though its still great)... I really hope that WB Nashville and Tim McGraw don't commercialize her style anymore than they already have. Her voice is so unique and her music is so different from anyone else out there, and I would hate to see her become some Faith Hill wanna-be. Resist the money Lori... haha. I believe she'll be fine though.

View Profile   IP Logged
KarenL
Mother of God

Reply #4 - 01/30/07 at 12:41:48

I saw Lori last night at Passim in Cambridge. Was my first time seeing her...she seems really down to earth (refreshing to hear a singer talk about her kids and husband) and her voice sounds even better live, I think. Her band (which included Mark Erelli) was really loud!  Smiley Great show.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
PCStuff
Big Daddy

Does Anyone Really
Know What Time It
Is?

Reply #5 - 02/02/07 at 01:46:41

Quote from mbgriffith1 on 01/29/07 at 19:46:45:
Good to hear from other Lori fans. She really is amazing. Although, I have to say that I really like the Bittertown CD least (though its still great)... I really hope that WB Nashville and Tim McGraw don't commercialize her style anymore than they already have. Her voice is so unique and her music is so different from anyone else out there, and I would hate to see her become some Faith Hill wanna-be. Resist the money Lori... haha. I believe she'll be fine though.

That's always a legitimate concern....but look at all the Patty songs that the Dixie Chicks used.  I think it helps less known artists more than hurts.  It also gives them higher record sales and pride that a well known artist would want to sing their songs.  But I agree, when I listen to Faith sing Lori's songs, it makes me nauseous.  

rubyblue
Little God

Reply #6 - 08/20/07 at 23:50:36

is anyone else loving lori's new album (unglamorous) as much as me?

(formerly ringo902)

You never get to give it all you’ve got / Cause you forgot to take it to the top / Oh, Ruby Blue
View Profile WWW baublesofgold   IP Logged
ScottG40
Mother of God

Reflections that
told you that they
were not there

Reply #7 - 08/21/07 at 00:30:31

I have it, haven't listened yet, but it's on the iPod and I'm traveling tomorrow.... Can't wait.

View Profile   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #8 - 09/03/07 at 05:05:19

I like it! The Nashville influence doesn't bother me, the songwriting is still very strong!

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
PattyLover
Peter Pan

Can't Get Enough
PattyCakes

Reply #9 - 02/07/08 at 19:36:31

Patty is my favorite as well but Lori ah Lori  SmileyI just love her.I am surprised You are Loved is not on your favorite list of her's becouse to come up with a a song like that just show's she has boundless talent.I will admit I have not heard every 1 of her song's yet,but it won't be long. SmileyI just love how her family pushed her to perform her music for all to hear.A mother to five  and wow what a mom she must have been and is.We all know Patty is top's but Lori can hold her own with any woman singing in music today.Long may they both play for us to love and enjoy.

Pattys personal Lappdog......I Wish LOL
Email View Profile WWW PattyLover   IP Logged
PCStuff
Big Daddy

Does Anyone Really
Know What Time It
Is?

Reply #10 - 07/28/08 at 05:44:52

Lori is so worth making a post here after a long time away

dougzilla
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #11 - 07/29/08 at 15:52:56

I had not seen her live since she first started singing in a little bar in Easton MA. I just saw her at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival ans she was great. You can hear the country influence, but she is getting better all the time. I love her song writing now. When I first saw her she was doing some Patty covers. Doug

murph
Big Daddy

Reply #12 - 07/30/08 at 08:19:16

And if you have ever thought about seeing Lori live now is the time as she is out on the road with Mary Gauthier.

This is a very good show

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n