Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
06/19/19 at 18:52:10
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boston (Read 5193 times)
KarenL
Mother of God

Boston
08/11/05 at 22:17:49

I've been on a Silver Bell kick lately... I admit this CD had to grow on me, but now I can't get enough of it. A song that I had once overlooked, and now love, is 'Boston' . I'm basically wondering what others think about it. It's probably more straightforward than I'm making it out to be. At first I thought it was about returning to a place that was once important and dear to you, where you invested so much time and effort, and left disillusioned. Then you return one day and realize that you've grown and changed, and have moved on, but little else has ('The runaway kids are still hanging out there'). Some things never change (the person you left behind, and the city itself). You look around now and have a different  perspective on everything, see things in a new light, as a new person, and have no regrets.  I also think it's about a need for familiarity and desire to recapture feelings you once had for a person or place, but as you get a better look around you realize that you're a different person now and it's time to move on.  
However, then I think I'm crazy because I get to the part about Memorial Day and the graveyard....and actually the rest of the song, and have no idea  ??? It's probably obvious to everyone but me...lol.   Any clarification or thoughts please?  : )

Email View Profile   IP Logged
JohnnyGuitar
Little God

Guitar for the
people

Re: Boston
Reply #1 - 08/30/05 at 00:11:27

Having lived in the Boston area for 30 years and experiencing all of the places mentioned in the song, I listen to the song through a mix of memories and imagination.   Kay, I think you nailed my feelings  about the song through most of the interpretation.  Of course, every song means something different to someone else.  

There is the hint of being the only one that ever experienced such feelings of love and loss, then realizing you're just one in a cast of thousands in your little part of the city.

I sense the need for familiarity but not from a perspective of hoping to recapture those feelings.  I sense that Patty wrote about visiting those long-lost feelings like one would visit a graveyard in rememberance of someone that's no longer with us.   The memories are there, just not the experience.

And just maybe, the graveyard is an interpretation of the way buildings in a city resemble a field of standing stones in a cemetary.  The giant graveyard is filled with other souls that have loved and lost.

John,
Seattle

Experience is not what happens to you, but what you take with you.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
KarenL
Mother of God

Reply #2 - 08/30/05 at 22:53:36

Love your interpretation, John. I feel the same way having grown up in Mass., myself. Hopping on the red line at Alewife to Harvard Sq., then heading into the city over the Charles. It's still the exact T route I take into Boston. I spent alot of time with friends in Harvard Square in the early 90's. Initially it was the familiarity of the images in the song which drew me to it, but then I listened to the lyrics carefully, and realized I loved the song, with or without the familiar landmarks.  

Thank you for your thoughts on the song. Very well said! I know we all have our own interpretation, but this really clarifies it for me.  

Karen

Sarah(Guest)

Reply #3 - 01/22/06 at 22:02:15

Hi all -
I have been trying to track either the Silver Bell album or the song Boston down and can't find either anywhere... is it possible that someone could point me in the right direction or send me the song?
Would greatly appreciate -  
thanks!
Sarah

Email   IP Logged
sfboy
Little God

Reply #4 - 02/01/06 at 19:53:12

Hi Sarah

If you send me your address I'll send you a copy.  It's not for sale, so you have to get it through a trade or an offer.  So I'm offering.  My email is kpcross@comcast.net

Kevin

We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns
some of us are dancers on the Midway
We roam from town to town
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e