Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/20/19 at 23:41:03
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Patty show downloads (shn's, mp3's, etc.) (Read 16017 times)
odorous_one
How do I get Silver Bell?

Patty show downloads (shn's, mp3's, etc.)
03/27/05 at 16:42:08

Does anyone know of a site from which i can use Bit Torrent, etc. to download a patty show?

i know that patty is one of the artists in furthurnet, but whenever i do a search, it always comes up blank.  i'm so frustrated.

this seems very unusual because these are one of the easiest ways to spread patty music to the world.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
beensaved
Mother of God

Re: Patty show downloads (shn's, mp3's, etc.)
Reply #1 - 03/27/05 at 17:31:59

Murph...

do your thing...

“I love cats, I just can’t seem to finish one by myself”
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Reply #2 - 03/27/05 at 18:42:02

Patty and her management have asked owners of those services to remove any and all of her shows from them. That is why you can't find any shows out there for the most part.

It is also a policy of this site not to allow the trading of electronic file via this board.

Please see the above thread on the policy.  

Thank you

odorous_one

Reply #3 - 03/29/05 at 00:40:37

management needs to get a clue.

there is no distinction between downloading on a legal share friendly site like furthurnet vs. trading cd.  if it's the bootlegging for profit issue, you can do that with either format.

i'm also surprised given that ATO records was started by dave matthews whose career is virtually catapulted by tape trading, and now has his own download site in antsmarching.org.  

although i have numerous other points to offer, i will simply end by stating that management is simply curtailing the opportunity for patty to be heard by others.  it saddens me that countless others will never get to even know that someone like patty exists.

i'll get off my soapbox now.
peace out

RT
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 03/29/05 at 01:07:07

Trust me, odorous one, all involved have all the clues. The policy is what it is for a reason.  

a note: some artists, Patty included, are restrained a bit from trying out new material in their concerts when the next day they are being distributed world-wide on the net. In the old days, a song could take shape over the course of being played to audiences... now it is essentially pressed and distributed as soon as it is played - and often recorded with poor mics and crappy recorders. These bootleg recordings (that is what they are, remember) are a fact of life as we know it... the line is drawn regarding downloads to limit the reach.

View Profile   IP Logged
odorous_one

Reply #5 - 03/31/05 at 01:32:07

not convinced at all by a long shot.

there numerous bands/performers out there that nurture songs over the span of years, and still allow downloading or trading of their "imperfect" shows via shn's, flacs, etc.  (and in fact, to me, listening to the evolution of songs is a joy because it is yet another layer of the depth of the artist).

am i the only one who thinks the emperor is wearing no clothes?

i sure would like to know if there are others that see my point of view.  perhaps we can collectively rock this boat enough that the powers that be will reconsider.

can i get an amen?

RT
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/31/05 at 02:22:02

There are, as with all issues, many sides, points and opinions. Read the recent Supreme court discussions on this regard. It comes down to where the new technology fits in the world of intellectual property. I work for Patty. I mix the shows. I know her opinion on this matter. She knows that Dave Matthews and others differ. The label has offered their view. That is her opinion. Please respect it as she would yours.

View Profile   IP Logged
John_B
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/07/05 at 11:13:06

I think that as the boots are a grey area we should be glad that we are allowed to trade cds.....period.   There are other artists that allow audience taping but no electronic downloads ( allman brothers )....With Patty taping is not technically allowed, so we are lucky she and her management choose to allow us our fun with trading.  You gotta respect an artist and their wishes, especially if you love their art!
That's the biggest fault with the new internet era of downloads.....newcomers to the taping  / trading scene want eveything yesterday and in the best quality and for FREE and perfer to have to do as little as possible to get ahold of a copy.
It can be a tangled mess.  Consider that Easytree.org was just shut down yesterday, April 6.  Easytree was the biggest torrent site around and was a gold mine, but also made excellent recordings available to bootleggers and Ebay scum within days of the event.  These jerks sell stuff on EBAY and next thing you know, bands are alerted, lawyers hired, letters sent and next thing you know there is no easytree.
I consider it very fortunate that we can trade openly here and don't want to see anything threaten our current arrangement.

View Profile   IP Logged
BrettL

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 04/07/05 at 21:27:17

Amen Odorous.

Well written rant that is difficult to impossible to deny.

I agree.

B

View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Reply #9 - 04/07/05 at 21:55:22

Thanks for everyones opinions and thoughts on this matter. TDtT has a policy on downloads which follows the wish's of Patty and her management. When they tell us that they would like us to change things then we will, until then, the policy will remain.

donhenn
Big Daddy

What , me worry ?

Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 17:41:07

I'll give Murph , RT & John B. my amens. I really feel bad for those who have to put out a minimal efort to obtain a Patty show cry  I am one who always supported getting Patty's music out there to expand & energize her fan base , but not by making things easy for the profiteers  
& casual fans looking for freebies.

Don

« Last Edit: 04/09/05 at 17:16:29 by donhenn »  
PureX
Peter Pan

Reply #11 - 04/09/05 at 16:52:56

OK, here's my 2 cents:

I don't download free music from anywhere. I will buy music by the song from places like iTunes because the files are clean and the royalties are paid to the artists as they should be. I like to arrange my own CDs from the songs I buy. And I think I should be able to do that as long as I am paying for the music and I'm not re-selling my mixes to others.  

I do occasionally give a mix to a friend, but along with it comes a whole lot of very positive word-of-mouth ranting that I think the artists should be grateful to have. God knows the radio stations won't give them any exposure! I know that the enthusiastic word-of-mouth of others gets me to check out new names, and I think I gets other people to do the same.  

I strongly believe that artists SHOULD GET PAID for what they do. But at the same time, I really like having my favorite artists on DVD. I would much prefer to see Patty and others perform a song than to just listen, when I can. I am happy to pay them for a DVD, I am happy to buy a ticket to their concerts when they come to town, but I'm getting frustrated that so many artists are being such idiots about recognizing the rising demand for these DVDs. And in my frustration, I'm beginning to feel like if the artists are too stupid to produce and sell me a good DVD of their musical performances, then maybe it's not so wrong to pay someone else, who will. Ya' know?

articulate_parsnip

I stuck my head in a
fire hydrant.

Reply #12 - 05/06/05 at 19:16:17

Quote from odorous_one   on 03/31/05 at 01:32:07:
not convinced at all by a long shot.

there numerous bands/performers out there that nurture songs over the span of years, and still allow downloading or trading of their "imperfect" shows via shn's, flacs, etc.  (and in fact, to me, listening to the evolution of songs is a joy because it is yet another layer of the depth of the artist).

am i the only one who thinks the emperor is wearing no clothes?

i sure would like to know if there are others that see my point of view.  perhaps we can collectively rock this boat enough that the powers that be will reconsider.

can i get an amen?

I agree, but I do understand how some artist are against this. What I find weird is how we're alowed to trade bootlegs here, but can't put up downloads. I dont see much of a difference.

This is not a signature.
View Profile WWW LostSailor3   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Reply #13 - 05/06/05 at 20:10:07

The rules are the rules and until Patty tells us different they will stay the way they are.

Rocking the boat won't help at all

Murph

longridehome

Reply #14 - 06/06/05 at 19:48:08

Isn't it enough that RT wrote: "I work for Patty. I mix the shows. I know her opinion on this matter"? It's Patty's music. This is Patty's site. If it's Patty's wish not to have files downloaded, that's it. Any other point is moot and her wishes should be respected.

sandaltube

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #15 - 07/29/05 at 10:13:52

Quote from donhenn   on 04/08/05 at 17:41:07:
I'll give Murph , RT & John B. my amens. I really feel bad for those who have to put out a minimal efort to obtain a Patty show cry I am one who always supported getting Patty's music out there to expand & energize her fan base , but not by making things easy for the profiteers
& casual fans looking for freebies.

Don

Wow, I recognize your name from way back in the JewelStock days... which is why I find your attitude towards this matter really surprising.  First of all, I wouldn't consider someone who is on the internet looking for live Patty shows a casual fan.  In fact, I'm not sure she has any casual fans.

I'm with odorous on this.  I realize that policy is policy, blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  There really is no difference in trading live material via disc and snail mail and trading live material electronically... aside from the fact that one method is much slower.  The snail mail method made sense to me 10 years ago when I was trading tapes, but that was because no one had CD burners and no one had broadband, or the means to share electronically.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Again, I know what Patty's feelings and her management's feeling are on the matter, but I really don't think it makes any sense.  I'm sure there are shows and other material out there... hell, I downloaded about 50 rare and/or live tracks from someone on Audiogalaxy a few years ago, so I'm sure more can be found now.

I'm not the kind of person to download copyrighted material illegally or sell bootlegs for profit, but if I find a live show on the internet that's available for download, I'm going to download it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog Kid
Peter Pan

Starving Artist

Reply #16 - 06/09/07 at 21:58:32

***  DISCLAIMER:  I am fully aware of the trading policy and am not arguing nor protesting.  This is meant to be a discussion of it's rationale only.  No boat rockage or anything.  ***

Quote from RT on 03/31/05 at 02:22:02:
I work for Patty. I mix the shows.

Then you must also know that two sweet condenser mics right where you sit at the shows can recreate the live listening experience almost perfectly, right?  What better way to promote a gifted live performer than by sharing such a document?

If you have "all the clues" and the policy against online trading is what it is for "a reason", what is said reason?  I'm not arguing for change in the policy, I'm just curious.  Colour me one of the perplexed ones.  

Despite my young age, I have a lot of experience as a musician and as an online trader, and I'm a music major with a concentration in music technology.  While I don't know everything, it can be said that I have at least a few "clues".  The only possible rationale I can fathom for the current policy is that it keeps the proliferation of the live material to a dull roar, since it is physically more costly and time consuming to trade via concrete means than it is digitally.

In your hypothetical scenario, who is restraining the artists from trying out the new material, whether or not any tapes are rolling?

And to correct you, these recordings are more accurately referred to as RoIOs, or Recordings of Independent Origin.  Bootlegs are RoIOs that are sold for profit.

Email View Profile WWW piaggiop180   IP Logged
Princemyshkin
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 06/14/07 at 08:15:05

I started trading tapes and recording shows back in the late 70's. I realized that some folks saw it one way while I saw it another. It was cool to spread the message of a great performer but now that the industry has virtually disappeared as we know it, it's just a different world. Bottom line I have to respect the artist's views. Doesn't mean I don't trade etc but if they exclude certain mediums I have to respect that, but as Bruce said let the tapes roll. Just don't sell them and in Patty's case keep them where she wants them.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c