Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
07/18/19 at 13:01:22
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print
When it don't come easy (Read 22874 times)
Just Bob

When it don't come easy
07/09/04 at 04:01:14

On every record there is at least one song that gets under my skin to the point just shy of obsession (I did say "just shy").  On the new one it's "When it don't come easy."  I am struggling with my wife through some life changes as we get ready to celebrate our 25th anniversary this year and, if I could sing, this would be what she would hear.

Email   IP Logged
Roy
Mother of God

Re: When it don't come easy
Reply #1 - 07/09/04 at 13:46:19

Bob,

I had the same struggle at the same point in my marriage. We both could have used the inspiration of this song, for alas, we grew weary and chose to give up the fight. 25 years is a huge investment in a relationship. It's worth fighting for. I hope you both find a way to need and complete each other again.

Best of luck,
Roy

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Melissa

Reply #2 - 07/09/04 at 15:01:42

I actually just sent these lyrics to my best friend-- he's a kindred spirit to me and both of us have tried to walk away from the other at one or more points in the past 5 or 6 years-- but we won't let each other.  We just keep trying to remind each other of our love.  

My parents got divorced after 25 years (papers went through on the day of their 26th anniversary), and I always wonder how they got that far and then "changed their minds."  I really pray everything works out for you two and you can remember all the nuances that made you fall in love from the start.

Email   IP Logged
DreamDominator81
How do I get Silver Bell?

Reply #3 - 07/13/04 at 21:17:36

This song happens to crawl into me also.....at the time when I first heard it, my best friend and I were loosing eachother, due to her CRAZY boyfriend, and she chose him over our friendship.........It makes a perfect analogy for my feelings twards her, our friendship, the lack of, and how at anytime I will still be there for her.........It is wonderful to be able to turn to something like this, and grow with it, in the situation, and find love in the music when the person is absent to share that with you!!!!!!!!

I also send a little prayer in the direction of the couple facing difficulties, and hope all works out for the better of both hearts.................................

With Love † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Email View Profile xcandyrainx DreamDominator81   IP Logged
whisperings

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/06/04 at 00:35:31

'when it don't come easy' is nothing less then stunning.  My connection with it is quite different to those described already.  The song for me is about those inner struggles you have with yourself.  When you are trying to bring out the part of yourself that brings you through the tough times and allows you to remember all that you are and all that you can be.  Some people call it 'self-talk' but I think Patty Griffin puts it much more eloquently.

View Profile   IP Logged
ArrowofArtemis
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/06/04 at 01:25:13

I'm in Austin on a business trip right now, and when I turned on KGSR last night to check the volume of my alarm setting, guess what song was playing?  Smiley  Love that I can just flip on the radio and Patty is there. Smiley

This song is also one from the new album that has gotten under my skin.  It's been with me on several important life events recently.  Last week, I had the scariest night of my life, trying to drive home through the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne.  Every single route home was flooded out.  It took me 6 hours to get there in the end, and belting this song, over and over, helped to keep me sane.

About a month ago, I had a big disappointment.  A few days later, I received a card in the mail from my very best friend in the world, with just the lyrics to this song written inside, followed by, "Just a reminder." Smiley  It made me cry. Smiley  I love the fact that this song can represent and encompass different kinds of love...yet more proof positive that Patty's songs can be applied to your own experiences in so many ways.

It's an amazing tune that is so much more than a love song.

~M

IP Logged
afterneath30
Peter Pan

Count your ribs and
say your prayers

Reply #6 - 12/10/04 at 20:06:27

My wife and I constantly send each other Patty lyrics via e-mail from my work to her work.  It really keeps us going through the long days.  This one has made an appearance on more than one occasion.  When I hear this song it reminds me of my wife singing to me.  Especially the part about how she can see me walking down the highway, and all the signs are blown away.  After 11 years of marriage it really personally touches us, as do many of Patty's songs.  

I think another reason why this song is so special to us is because we got to go see Patty at Stubb's BBQ a few months ago since we live in Austin.  We got to the show very early, and as soon as we got out of the car on Guadalupe St., we heard Patty's voice on the stage.  We snuck in through the gate, and Patty was on the stage doing a soundcheck.  For about five minutes, we watched stunned while Patty belted out "When It Don't Come Easy" to the empty stadium.  I still get chills thinking about it.  Of course, we were asked to leave because Patty prefers to have a closed set for sound checks.  It was still the greatest experience ever, and the best concert I have ever seen.  I think of this experience every time I hear this song on KGSR or on my CD.

Lady M

Reply #7 - 12/17/04 at 10:30:57

After rereading the lyrics, I'm going to have to disagree with the interpretation that this song is about our own inner-strength and self-talk.  I really think it's about community.

More than that, I think we'd all agree that Patty is a person who questions and sort of researches religiousity.  The lines:  
Someone will say what's been said before
It's only love we were looking for

combined with the highway metaphor really makes me think of a religious stand point of "all roads lead to the same end."  According to this song, that end is Love.  Home is Love.  

We're all walking (or driving) down different paths in this life and too often we end up on detours or fear we're going in the wrong direction.  However, it's the road of life and we wonder if we'll ever pull into our driveway, seeing the lights of home twinkling through the windows, the glow of love.  

This can be a personal love.  But, God made us to have others around us.  Whether they be romantic love or not, he made us to long for, give and receive love-- from him, from family, friends, lovers-- from ourselves.  And we need that reminder.  We need flares on the side of the road and passengers and pit stops and eventually, home.  Love doesn't always manifest itself how we would have thought.  But that's what makes the drive worthwhile.  

Mamma's sewin' a brand new shirt and you're wearin' the one that's torn.
View Profile WWW bluegrassbadger1   IP Logged
Turk_Rogers
Mother of God

Reply #8 - 12/17/04 at 10:44:14

Quote from Lady M   on 12/17/04 at 10:30:57:
†Home is Love. †
God made us to have others around us. †Whether they be romantic love or not, he made us to long for, give and receive love-- from him, from family, friends, lovers-- from ourselves. †And we need that reminder. †We need flares on the side of the road and passengers and pit stops and eventually, home. †Love doesn't always manifest itself how we would have thought. †But that's what makes the drive worthwhile.

What a beautiful interpretation. Very well said.  Smiley

Share the PattyLove
PattyChat
PattyForum

stat763
Peter Pan

Reply #9 - 12/17/04 at 10:58:24

Quote:
on Today at 11:30am, Lady M wrote: Home is Love.
God made us to have others around us. Whether they be romantic love or not, he made us to long for, give and receive love-- from him, from family, friends, lovers-- from ourselves. And we need that reminder. We need flares on the side of the road and passengers and pit stops and eventually, home. Love doesn't always manifest itself how we would have thought. But that's what makes the drive worthwhile.

What a beautiful interpretation. Very well said.

I agree! I suffered a huge loss in August and this song has really kept me going. Life certainly doesn't come easy but it has served as a reminder that we need to love and to be loved.

View Profile   IP Logged
el
Little God

"I raised my
voice to the air and
we were
blessed"

Reply #10 - 01/05/05 at 15:10:53

I mentioned this about the song Useless Desires as well, but this CD came out right after I lost my job - talk about all the signs getting blown away and questioning if I was walking in the right direction! But belting out this song was very cathartic for me during that rocky season! To speak Lady M's post - I definitely imagined God singing the chorus to me as a reminder that there was hope and comfort to be found even in the midst of my confusion...

Megs
Peter Pan

Reply #11 - 01/31/05 at 13:27:12

I turn to a lot of Patty songs in my frustrating, lonely, "crying" out moments.  But this one more than any other song I have ever played over and over and over reaches me, on a whole different level...brings me to God (who ever he/she/it is).  It lets me find an inner channel of greatness inside me...picks me up and guides me, like a favorite Aunt..."when it don't come easy."

Amazing she is, that Patty.

Megs   Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Little_Kites
Mother of God

Reply #12 - 01/31/05 at 19:03:14

Quote from Lady M   on 12/17/04 at 10:30:57:
After rereading the lyrics, I'm going to have to disagree with the interpretation that this song is about our own inner-strength and self-talk. †I really think it's about community.

More than that, I think we'd all agree that Patty is a person who questions and sort of researches religiousity. †The lines:

combined with the highway metaphor really makes me think of a religious stand point of "all roads lead to the same end." †According to this song, that end is Love. †Home is Love. †

We're all walking (or driving) down different paths in this life and too often we end up on detours or fear we're going in the wrong direction. †However, it's the road of life and we wonder if we'll ever pull into our driveway, seeing the lights of home twinkling through the windows, the glow of love. †

This can be a personal love. †But, God made us to have others around us. †Whether they be romantic love or not, he made us to long for, give and receive love-- from him, from family, friends, lovers-- from ourselves. †And we need that reminder. †We need flares on the side of the road and passengers and pit stops and eventually, home. †Love doesn't always manifest itself how we would have thought. †But that's what makes the drive worthwhile.

Nice intereptation!!

And when the last bird falls and the last siren sounds

View Profile   IP Logged
Terri

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #13 - 10/23/05 at 20:54:17

Hi, brand new to Patty and this site.  After falling in love with my girlfriend, I had to leave town and had few words to say to express how I'd miss her.  She said to me "If you break down, I'll drive out and find you."  I said, "If you forget my love, I'll try and remind you."  That said it all.  Thanks Patty.

A.C.

I woder if we're
gonna ever get
home...

Reply #14 - 10/31/05 at 22:39:09

One of the most important things I love about Patty's music is that more of her songs have touched me and influenced me than any other artist.  

"When It Don't Come Easy" was one of them.  

My boyfriend of two years and I were recently stuffed into this long distance relationship. I'm here at home in Oklahoma and he's at college in NYC. It's hard, but anytime we feel like we're drifting apart we have one memory that bring us back together.  

It was a month or so before he left, and we were in my living room with the stereo on. I was attempting (and failing) to teach him how to two-step, but I swear the boys got two left feet. Wink And this song came on the radio, and three lines in I just started crying. To my surprise, so did he. We just cried, and danced, and sang, and laughed. And that was when we realized we could make it work. And we have.

Email View Profile WWW A.C. Grissom34   IP Logged
lisa

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #15 - 11/05/05 at 22:39:20

If you break down, I'll drive out and find you.  If you forget my love, I'll try to remind you.    This to me is  about relationship's.  Sometimes one get's lost in life they lose themselves and in turn lose those who love them.  So we must help them find their self again (sorry for the poor grammar-it's late)... Just keep reminding them of our love for them. Very hard at time's but will surely come back around full circle when we need the same.   Great song from a lovely lady.. Smiley

Special song(Guest)

Reply #16 - 02/18/06 at 10:19:44

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW

There are five leaves clinging to a branch outside my window.
I steep a cup of  Echinacea tea, walk out to get the paper, and feed the dogs.
There are four leaves clinging to a branch outside my window.
Two teaspoons of sugar in the tea, spread out the paper, and pop a Patty Griffin CD in the player.
I peel the skin from a Spanish Clementine, and note it actually came from Spain.
There are three leaves clinging to a branch outside my window.
The Christmas Ads fill my paper, four U.S. soldiers died in Iraq yesterday, as did Richard Pryor, well he didnít die in Iraq he was in L.A.
The thought passes, that to someone , somewhere; there is a greater loss than the ones noted on the front page of the paper.
Track eight, ďwhen it donít come easyĒ , this song always brings a tear. I wish I could say I donít know why., but I know .
There are two leaves clinging to a branch outside my window.
A squirrel hops along every fourth slat of my picket fence, at first Claire and Albert donít notice.  
Claire springs toward the door, ears back , barking  in a mind numbing shrill. Albert is slow to act, he stumbles behind  her, unaware of why he is barking, or even why he suddenly wants to go out.
The squirrel is gone before they even get off the back porch. Stealthy  hunters they are not.
Itís game time, NFL Sunday.
There is one leaf clinging to a branch outside my window.
I take a shower, think Iíll go out for a while.
The phone rings, a pleasant conversation that lasts an hour or more. Maybe I wonít go out.
Iíll do some laundry, tidy up, run the vacuum.
I take some scallops from the fridge, sautťí  them in butter, add some sherry and tarragon.
I also make a salad, and pour a glass of wine.
There is still one leaf clinging to a branch outside my window
I admire itís stubbornness.
I have to meet a friend, so I put on my shoes. Grab my keys, and kiss my puppies.
It is dark now,  
There is a branch outside my window.

Email   IP Logged
docjake
Little God

It's a wondrous
world of ridiculous
things!

Reply #17 - 02/22/06 at 15:42:04

I was at an appointment and my client had the Ellen Degeneres talk show playing on the TV.  Melissa Etheridge was a guest and they were discussing all Melissa went through with her breast cancer scare.  Ellen mentioned that many people have said that certain Etheridge songs have been an anthem or helped them get through difficult situations.  Ellen asked Melissa if there was any music that had helped her when she was going through what she had gone through.  She said yes, there was a song.  It was Patty Griifin's "When It Don't Come Easy".  I was thrilled.  I've always liked Melissa and to know that she takes the same comfort from such a great song was cool.  And what a plug for Patty!  As it happens, I had that very CD in my car's CD player.  I listened to it four times on my way home.  How one song can mean so many things, yet all the same thing, and comfort so many people is, to me, a remarkable testament to Patty's ability to show, not tell, what so many of us feel in a song.  It's wonderful how music can help us to understand our interconnectedness.  Well done, Ms. Griiffin.  Well done.

Shelly(Guest)

Reply #18 - 04/24/06 at 18:55:06

I really don't know why I like the song except when I heard it the lines "When you break down, I'll drive out and find you / When you forget my love, I'll try to remind you" I was hooked.  Maybe it's that that's how I feel about my husband.  I'll never let him go, no matter what, and I'll always be there to pick him up when he is down.  

To Bob,

You should sing it to your wife.  Put all your inhibitions aside and just sing it!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Reply Send Topic Print

Recent Posts    
Preferences

Re: Philly April 4th? by murph in gener
04/05/19 at 11:37:16

Patty's New CD and She talks about Breast Cancer, by murph in news
01/11/19 at 13:28:09

NPR's Top 150 CD's of all time by female artist by murph in news
07/24/17 at 14:35:33

Turk Rogers by murph in news