Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
10/20/19 at 21:52:37
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Under These Clouds (Read 6562 times)
Unfounded_Rumour
How do I get Silver Bell?

still alive
underneath this
shroud

Under These Clouds
05/15/04 at 02:35:11

does anyone know anything about the song Under These Clouds? I just downloaded it and it is amazing and beautiful...but i'm curious as to where it falls in the whole Patty Chronology,  she sounds young and it has a Living With Ghosts sound to it. And the lyrics are similiar to Rain. oh, it's so beautiful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Fool_on_Fire
Big Daddy

Third Indigo Girl

Re: Under These Clouds
Reply #1 - 05/15/04 at 08:14:22

John Higgins's liner notes on LFML 1

Here's what it says, transcribed:

The opening six songs of this CD are from Patty's very first official release: a cassette that was sold at her early gigs in and around Boston, MA.  

The tracks were recorded in 1991 at a small garage-band studio behind the suburban Arlington house she lived in with her then-husband. When Patty began cutting tracks with producer Nile Rogers in 1994, the tape was made unavailable.  

The first few lines of "Under These Clouds" refer to Patty's frustration with her job at the time of the song's writing, as a waitress at the Harvard Square (Cambridge MA) Pizzeria Uno restaurant.

Smiley

~Elise

« Last Edit: 05/15/04 at 08:52:43 by Fool_on_Fire »  

from the inside out I'd let you in cause you might understand
that god is in our hearts, but the devil's in our bones
and oh, you are not alone

-- Amy Ray

all my life I've been wishing on eyelashes
for words that fit how I feel

-- Melissa Ferrick
View Profile   IP Logged
Unfounded_Rumour
How do I get Silver Bell?

still alive
underneath this
shroud

Reply #2 - 05/15/04 at 09:37:05

wow, that's awesome. thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #3 - 05/16/04 at 15:16:08

I really love this song. I relate to it because I discovered very late in life that I want to sing and write songs.....so I feel sometimes I'm under these clouds.

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Angela

Reply #4 - 05/28/04 at 08:34:38

This song is so personal to me.  

It speaks later on in the song about "her mama tried real hard not to pass it along, and so her mama did before that..."

Well, to me this equates to depression, which I believe is a sort of a heredetary trait passed down, even though we may not want to pass it along.  But with depression, you do "live under a cloud" so to speak.  And then society traditionally deals with depression or *gasp* mental illness by saying basically we should be hidden away, or not talked about openly, hence the "and they say get down under these clouds, I was born down under these clouds".  

Anyway, that's the personal meaning I've taken from this awesome song.
 Wink

Email   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #5 - 06/02/04 at 03:41:41

that's beautiful Angela. It does truly seem that depression is not allowed in our culture....why else is it so common that people take these "little pills" that she describes in the song Useless Desires?

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
sandina
Big Daddy

Light so bright it
hurts your eyes

Reply #6 - 11/20/04 at 07:46:54

Quote from Angela   on 05/28/04 at 08:34:38:
This song is so personal to me.

It speaks later on in the song about "her mama tried real hard not to pass it along, and so her mama did before that..."

Well, to me this equates to depression, which I believe is a sort of a heredetary trait passed down, even though we may not want to pass it along.  But with depression, you do "live under a cloud" so to speak.  And then society traditionally deals with depression or *gasp* mental illness by saying basically we should be hidden away, or not talked about openly, hence the "and they say get down under these clouds, I was born down under these clouds".  

Anyway, that's the personal meaning I've taken from this awesome song.
Wink

I love this song too.  Especially since I was recently diagnosed with depression.  I like the song because the narrator seems to be very aware of her disease and is standing up to it, doing something about it.  And I laugh now when I hear the song, because I recently told my boss "here's my butt, why don't you give it a kiss", lol.  And then very soon after that was diagnosed with depression.  Kind of funny now.

And Angela, you sum up this song beautifully.  I would add that the medical community is now looking at depression as a disease (like diabetes, asthma, etc.) instead of a "mental illness".  The brain is broke.  It's not a mental "perception".  It took me awhile to understand that.  

www.pattynet.net
Email View Profile slstcyr   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Recent Posts    
Preferences
Re: Philly April 4th? by murph in gener
04/05/19 at 11:37:16