Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
10/22/19 at 22:06:03
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What started it all 4 u? (Read 32342 times)
lamb
How do I get Silver Bell?

Re: What started it all 4 u?
Reply #25 - 06/06/04 at 21:08:37

I discovered Patty in a very unexpected way...I was watching the old WB show Jack & Jill (I don't know if anyone will remember this show; I think it was on in 2000). So, this couple was breaking up on the show, and they played "You Are Not Alone." Just the opening few lines. Well, from hearing just those first lines I knew I HAD to find out who sang that song.

So I went on the Internet and searched through all kinds of Jack & Jill fansites until I found a listing of the songs played. I started doing a little more research on Patty, and realized she wrote Let Him Fly. I listened to a few more songs and needless to say...I was hooked. Thank goodness I love cheesy TV (though kudos to whomever decided to put Patty in the soundtrack).

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pamela
Peter Pan

Reply #26 - 06/20/04 at 00:59:01

I first heard Patty's "Let  Him Fly" on the late, great LA radio station, KSCA. I was driving and heard that song. My jaw dropped! The emotion in her voice was amazing. I ran out and bought the CD. I listened to it quite a bit, but somehow, my interest in it seemed to fade.  

I pretty much forgot about it until I turned on the TV one night and there was Patty, on Conan O'Brien, singing "Blue Sky." I loved it, and bought Flaming Red the next day It quickly became my favorite. It also made me dig out LWG, and the rest is history. Now, she is always in heavy rotation on my CD player and my iPod!

defenestrate

it's a mad mission

Reply #27 - 03/10/05 at 17:56:05

i heard a beautiful voice in a bookstore one day and asked the music section manager whose cd was playing-he told me that it was patty griffin. i imagine this must have been around the time 1000 kisses came out, though it might have been a little earlier. in any case, i was thoroughly impressed by it, and not long after, went looking to hear more of her stuff. when i first heard "not alone", i was holed up in my apartment, dangerously ill, and reeling from a most nasty breakup with a girl i had been seeing for most of the previous several years. i was torn to pieces by it, and from that moment hooked. i picked up 1000 kisses shortly thereafter and it's all been, as they say, downhill from there  Wink

the eyes are not here|there are no eyes here|in this valley of dying stars
View Profile 177319639 zer0sig zer0sig   IP Logged
pam6221971

Reply #28 - 05/05/05 at 12:53:01

I, like many others have written in this thread - have the Dixie Chicks to thank for helping me discover Patty.  I was at my first Chicks concert (Atlanta, Aug. 2000) and Patty opened for them.  I had never heard of  Patty before and she blew me away more than the concert I came there for.  It wasn't long before I was at the music store looking for some Patty music.  

So as far as a song that drew me in, I'd have to say it was "Let Him Fly".  I had gone to that Chicks concert with a guy I was dating at the time and only a few short months later, we broke  up.  So I took much solace in LHF, as it helped me move past the pain of lost love.  Once I had one of Patty's CD's in my hot little hands, it was songs like "Every Little Bit" and "Tony" that kept me addicted to Patty.

I've never been someone that would consider herself a "groupie", but if I ever got to that point with anyone - it'd definitely be Patty.  She has so much passion and talent, it pains me that my closest friends and especially boyfriend cannot relate and enjoy her to the level I have found to relate to her music.  Patty has a way of expressing through song what we all feel, or have once felt.

Can't wait until May 13th - Variety Playhouse in Atlanta!  Hope to see some of the Local MM'ers there...   kiss   Grin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
~Marianne Williamson
View Profile pam6221971   IP Logged
Full_Monty

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 06/04/05 at 19:30:25

I knew of Patty Griffin from Bob Harris's show in the UK but I never got around to acquiring any albums. Then I downloaded a pirate copy of 1000 Kisses (tut tut I hear from someone Grin). I was blown away by her version of Stolen Car and then by Nobody's Crying. Immediately went to Amazon and ordered all four studio albums. That's how it all started for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Joy Bishop
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 07/04/05 at 00:01:14

I fell in love with Patty when she said, "go home to an empty apartment and call up my best friend who is a queer." Not since the Indigo Girls did I think some songwriter was secretly spying on my pathetic life and using it for inspiration. I had just graduated college and was completely lost. I heard it on the public radio station in Houston, or maybe it was Rice University's radio station. Don't remember, just glad I was tuning in and caught who was singing the song.

I'm just a sad sack who likes to talk about music. Joy
  IP Logged
RightOverThisMess
Peter Pan

Reply #31 - 08/01/05 at 11:25:54

I received a mixed CD from one of my good friends with 17 of her favorite Patty songs. This was just a couple weeks ago, actually. The opening song is "Rain" and I fell in love with her upon first listen of that song--then I heard "Mother of God" (my favorite Patty song so far) and the rest is history. I'm a huge Tori fan and I can safely say becoming familiar with Patty's music is the best thing that has happened to me since I stumbled upon Tori's music.

something as simple as boys and girls
gets tossed all around and then lost in the world
something as hard as a prayer on your back
can wait a long time for an answer
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Suzanne Gord

Reply #32 - 08/01/05 at 13:59:42

Wow! Great interpretation of Rain. That's one of my favs too.  

The one that did it for me though?  

Kite Song was at them end of an episode of Joan of Arcadia I was watching. I had never heard of Patty Griffin before that show. I bought the Impossible Dream CD the next day. Amazing!!

Email   IP Logged
KarenL
Mother of God

Reply #33 - 08/01/05 at 21:09:51

This is a long reply, and there wasn't one particular moment for me, but it was more of a short process. I guess I'm relatively new to Patty's music, but I've never become drawn into someone's music in such a short period of time. About six months ago, I caught a few minutes of Patty's ACL performance. I actually didn't know for sure who the singer was and didn't watch the whole thing, and for some reason, I had a feeling it was Patty Griffin...I had been hearing more and more of her songs being played on Boston's 92.5 The River, and Emerson College 'Coffeehouse' (they play everything from the Beatles to Teagan and Sara), Although I didn't recognize the song I caught on ACL, I finally did a web search for Patty Griffin because I had to find out who this really good singer was that I saw on TV, and wished I had watched the whole performance.  And I was right, it was Patty. Her name wasn't completely new to me, I had heard it many times, but didn't put two and two together. So... one night I spent about two hours reading her song lyrics online. The funny thing is... the next day I went to my friend's apartment to pick her up for a Sarah McLachlan concert. Her computer was on, and on 'Jukebox' she had Patty music all over the place (we always find out we like the same music). I was like, 'That is so funny, I've been reading her lyrics online'. So I went out, probably the next day, and bought Flaming Red (just as a random choice - I couldn't decide which one to buy first). Let's just say that I made the best CD purchase of my life on that day. Playing the CD, I recognized 'One Big Love' and 'Change' , but never knew who sang them. I realized how much I loved these songs. From the very first FR track, I literally kept saying to myself outloud in my car....'Oh, my GOD, so so so GOOD!' after every song. I was blasting FR on my very first play. Every song on here did it for me. With 'Tony'....the words, Patty's voice, the way the drums and bass kick in after she sings 'I was sitting right behind you'. The whole song was so powerful to me. This, as well as 'Goodbye', was so moving and made me cry so many times. So... I think I'm answering the question....Flaming Red was what really  did it for me, but I think if I hadn't purchased FR first, I would have felt the same way about 1000 Kisses, Impossible Dream, LWG, AKIT, and now have Silver Bell, thanks to a kind and generous person on this board who sent me a copy. And I'm seeing my first Patty concert on Saturday at the Newport Folk Festival - can't wait, it will be a blast! So, I'm, thankful to have discovered so much great music this year : )

Jan
TDtT Moderator

Jan the Janitor

Reply #34 - 08/01/05 at 22:56:19

I love reading the stories from the new fans. I've been familiar with Patty's music for quite some time and I still feel the same as you when I hear a new song or get to run out and pick up that new cd.

Come back and tell us all about Newport and
spread the word.

View Profile   IP Logged
KarenL
Mother of God

Reply #35 - 08/02/05 at 22:10:44

Thanks Jan, I absolutely will. I know already that I'm going to love the show, and I wish it was an entire Patty concert (other artists need their stage time, too : ), but according to the Festival site, she's going to be on for almost an hour, which is really good for a festival, I think! So I'm pretty happy. She's third from last, and the Pixies are last, but they are listed as having a longer set...I really like them, but so unfair!

Altenn

Reply #36 - 08/02/05 at 22:38:56

I walked into a bookstore and heard this voice. It was Patty. They were promoting Impossble dream. I fell in love and then she broke my heart a dozen times with lines that touched my soul. At least I know that there is a beautiful spirit in the world named Patty Griffin. There is truth in these songs...tears and laughter...love and loss.

Email   IP Logged
Lady_Fluff

I see badgers!

Reply #37 - 08/03/05 at 09:46:16

It all started with Bob Harris on a Saturday night on Radio 2. I honestly can't remember if it was Mad Mission or Christina that got me hooked, as I used to tape the entire shows and edit them down into various compilations (this was in my teenage years, pre-employment and therefore pre-able-to-afford-CDs!). I remember getting hooked on both, on different cassettes. I think it was Christina that proved to be the ultimate pull - I loved the richness of the sound, and I think it was the line "love will fall to pieces in the rain" that reeled me in. It took me a long while to track Flaming Red down, but it's still one of my most played albums.

Nobody gets a lifetime rehearsal, as specks of dust we're universal. To let this love survive would be the greatest gift that we could give (Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls)
Email View Profile LadyFluff1982   IP Logged
dannygee
Peter Pan

I Love Patty
Griffin!

Reply #38 - 10/09/05 at 20:38:44

Well, I have made my living (with a 7 year detour through two college degrees) for almost 32 years as a guitarist. Teaching is the most practical way to keep the wolf from the door. So I choose what, when and where I perform, and depend on teaching to put the bread on the table.

A lot of my students bring in CDs for their lessons, and I simply teach them songs from the CD. This is a good way for me to keep up with current music that I would not hear in my own free time.

Late last year, a student brought in "1000 kisses". I was struck immediately by the quality of Patty's voice. By the third week of teaching from this CD, I simply could not get it out of my head. In about one month, I had purchased all of her CDs. To put it succinctly, I was--and remain--completely smitten by Patty's words, music....and most of all...that voice.

Tom Waits got to me in the same way....and there are two others. One was Kate Wolf, the other was Billie Holiday. Like these two great ones, Patty doesn't blink, emotionally speaking. Some of Patty's contemporaries might be great singers and/or great writers, but most don't lay it out there like Patty. She truly wears her heart on her sleeve. When I hear that voice, I know that she is singing straight from her heart...with no filtering.

I can't count the times I've been in my car on long trips, playing "Rain", "Top of the World", "Kite Song", "Mary", on and on and on.....playing one song several times over, then moving on to another, and repeating the process, and doing one hell of a lot of crying.

She has written songs that become little gifts--they become our adopted children. I know that many of you know exactly what I am talking about, and like myself, you have spent more than your share of "Patty time" searching your heart, and being so grateful that there is someone that can help us all learn how to feel "so deep, deep, deep".  

I live in Chapel Hill, NC. Patty was here last June, doing a sold-out show at the Cat's Cradle. I actually ran into her on the street across from my teaching studio a few hours before the show and didn't do the most articulate job of telling her what her music means to me embarrassed  her performance that night was--as I would expect--very musical, and very moving.

In the meantime, I will be looking forward to her next album, and the next live show I can catch. I'm also excited about her appearance on the soundtrack of  "Elizabethtown". I hope that brings a good boost to her career. God knows that she richly deserves it.

Patty, thank you, thank you, thank you. You are so very precious to so many of us. When I feel the misanthrope in me rising, I listen to your voice, and I decide that maybe there is hope for the human race, and the human heart.

Jennifer Caputo
TDtT Administrator

Relax, have a beer -
I'm drinking
Arrogant Bastard

Reply #39 - 10/09/05 at 20:42:16

What a cool story Danny!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Welcome to the website!

Email View Profile WWW traDMB   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c