Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
06/26/19 at 19:30:27
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What started it all 4 u? (Read 30618 times)
Julie
Peter Pan

Staying on the ride,
it's gonna take me
somewhere

What started it all 4 u?
01/18/04 at 22:59:22

What one Patty song turned the tide for you?  Made you into a convert, believer, devotee, etc.?

For me, that song would be Rain.  I had Flaming Red and 1,000 Kisses, but I listened to only a handful of songs that I "liked" a lot, for instance, Mary, Blue Sky, and Be Careful.

Then one day, I heard Rain on a local radio station.  I'm not sure why exactly, as I had listened to it on the CD before, but after that listen, I almost immediately listened to the whole CD and fell in love with Chief, Making Pies, Stolen Car, Nobody's Crying....It was almost as if a switch had been flipped.  I listened to everything else with a new set of ears, almost.

Something about the line "I'm not looking for the rest of your life, I just want another chance to live...." gets me all the time. On the DVD, she talks about the persistent and torrential rain inspiring her to write this song, particularly the feeling of not being able to take much more.  To me, this song is about surrendering, giving up in a small way, in order to hold onto whatever's right in front of you.

View Profile   IP Logged
ScottG40
Mother of God

Reflections that
told you that they
were not there

Re: What started it all 4 u?
Reply #1 - 01/20/04 at 08:12:45

"Long Ride Home"
The line "How hard would it have been to say some kinder words instead....?" That flipped my switch.

View Profile   IP Logged
klary
Mother of God

Reply #2 - 01/20/04 at 10:33:24

the lines from Nobody's crying:
somewhere on the steepest slope
there's an endless rope
and nobody's crying.

For me, this sums up her ability to write about hardship and heartache, but without ever being bitter or cynical. There is always some hope and faith in her songs, even if it's only a glimpse of it.

Klary

... alone and alive...
View Profile   IP Logged
alaina
Peter Pan

Reply #3 - 01/20/04 at 11:59:56

every little bit....

it still does it for me  
and it is still one of the toughest songs to play on the geetar - the timing and the vocals KILL me - probably one reason I have such respect for it - rain n nobodys crying are two of my favs- i love long ride too - good taste  yall 8)

there was never a moment  
not a moment
now you know
now you know  
now you know
now you know

you ever get within a hundred
a million miles
of my soul

you know youre coming to some kind of understanding
when every dream youve dreamed has passed and youre still standing
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Fool_on_Fire
Big Daddy

Third Indigo Girl

Reply #4 - 01/20/04 at 14:29:33

Moses.  

I heard it, and I felt like the world had changed.  

Especially these lines:

I don't necessarily buy
any key to the future or happiness, but I  
need a little place in the sun sometimes
or I think I will die

Completely captured my heart. She just sounded like she truly understood what it felt like to be in a bad place...and how hard it is to learn to love and respect yourself again.  

I've since learned to love other Patty songs more than this one, but that was where it all began, six years ago.

~Elise

from the inside out I'd let you in cause you might understand
that god is in our hearts, but the devil's in our bones
and oh, you are not alone

-- Amy Ray

all my life I've been wishing on eyelashes
for words that fit how I feel

-- Melissa Ferrick
View Profile   IP Logged
redlucifer
Mother of God

G'day!

Reply #5 - 01/20/04 at 19:55:09

For me, every album has at least one fantastic song ... "Cain" was the first song I ever heard and even though I never understood it, I loved it.  "Forgiveness" was the next 'favourite' ... "Tony" from "Flaming Red"  after that ...etc!  Last year whilst suffering through a family trip in Eastern Europe I heard "Not Alone" for the umpteenth time and it made me want to cry.  Lately, I have fallen in love with "I Write the Book" from LFML1 - such a simple song (which means even I can play it on the guitar), but the nearest thing I've heard to a perfectly written 'pop' song (in my opinion anyway).

I been eating your crops like a big old locust
From now on I'm gonna be a little more in focus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit http://forum.pattynet.net/
Email View Profile 8435302   IP Logged
TonyG
How do I get Silver Bell?

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/20/04 at 20:04:50

The poignancy and power of 'Making Pies'.  The emotion in her voice.  This is the best song I've heard in years.

View Profile   IP Logged
DixieMedley
Peter Pan

I'm holding my heart
out but clutching it
too

Reply #7 - 01/20/04 at 20:52:29

"Be Careful" was the first Patty song I heard. A friend sent an mp3 of it to me one night when I was crying about a boy who had hurt me. I fell in love with the song and had to get more of this Patty Griffin stuff.  

I found Living with Ghosts, the Silver Bell promo and 1000 Kisses in used stores near me and bought all three within two weeks of each other. I still can't decide which disc is my favorite, LwG or 1000 Kisses. I ordered Flaming Red online because I couldn't find it for liess than $18 anywhere around here. I pre-ordered A Kiss in Time, and am anxiously awaiting the next release. So yeah, I guess I've hurried to get caught up.

While "Be Careful" is definitely not my favorite song, I have a hard time settling on just one that I consider "best." I love "Moses," "Making Pies," "Rain," "Long Ride Home," "Every Little Bit"...

Email View Profile WWW DixieMedley   IP Logged
girl_goddess
Little God

one more girl...

Reply #8 - 01/21/04 at 00:35:57

the very first patty cd i had was the LWG promo that i picked up for 99 cents with Moses, Let Him Fly, Every Little Bit and Mad Mission on it.  

I listened to those four songs over and over (x10,000).  
I can't pick a fav. song of those but i absolutely adore the lines:

sometimes you find yourself flying low at night
flying blind and looking for any sign of light
you're cold and scared and all alone
you'd do anything just to make it home
-mad mission

i didn't get my next patty album (flaming red) for awhile after that and then finally got the full LWG album.

-rach

Email View Profile rach2456   IP Logged
Megs
Peter Pan

Reply #9 - 01/23/04 at 12:32:19

Holy Crap----Sweet Lorraine!  

Never have listened to it without losing my breath, its never in the background...no matter if its barely audible...I can hear it perfectly, if I'm sleeping with music on...its the song I always wake up to.
I play it everytime I pick up the guitar....its the first Patty song I fell in love with.

Since then obviously...there have been others...The first time I heard Long Ride Home was close to that same feeling...but nothing will match the first time I heard Sweet Lorraine...when the love affair with Patty's poetry began.

Megs Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #10 - 01/23/04 at 16:15:28

I fell in love with the song TOTW having heard the Dixie Chicks version. That led me to PAtty.....I fell in love with most of the songs on Living With Ghosts! The first ones to really hit me: Every Little Bit, Lorraine, Poor Man's House, You never get what you want. Then after repeated listens: Forgiveness, still a favorite.  

Hey Red Lucifer, funny, I am totally OBSESSED right now with I Write the Book. Its in my head all the time and I desperately want a proper tab for it. When I listen to it on CD, am I right in thinking it is tuned a half-tone lower?

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Leo9
Peter Pan

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh,
Patty!

one word:  
Reply #11 - 01/23/04 at 19:37:09

CAIN.  I had bought the Lilith Fair cd because I like someone who performed at that show, and when I heard CAIN I forgot all about that person, don't even remember what her name is at this point.  Patty completely put me away with that song, and I was hooked instantly.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
djcagney

Reply #12 - 02/01/04 at 12:16:19

It took me a suprisingly long time to get to listening to Living with Ghosts all the way through given how taken I was with the first time I heard Patty.  Here's the long version:

I first heard "Time Will Do The Talking" on the AT&T Digital Cable Coffehouse Favorites Music station that I had playing in the background while I was working on the computer.  The song caught my ear and made me turn around midway to see the artist information.  I wrote down the information on a post-it note which went into my desk drawer for 8 months.

When I was cleaning, I found the post-it note and moved it to my PC monitor for another 2 months.

I finally looked her up on Amazon.com, listened to a couple more tracks and ordered "Living with Ghosts" (the only one available at that time).  I had ordered 4 other discs at that time and never really got around to listening to hers for another 3 months.  (if you're keeping track - we're up to 13 months from first contact).  

I bought a new car with a six CD changer and grabbed 6 discs randomly and put them into the car - Living with Ghosts was one of them.  Within a week - Living with Ghosts was the only disc I would listen to in the car.  I started to worry that I was getting brainwashed from listening to the same songs over and over for months.  I then needed to make multiple copies of the CD so that I could listen to it at any time - in the car, at home, work, working out.  Ridiculous.

Time Will Do The Talking first hooked me - but Sweet Lorraine made it into an addiction!   Wink

Email View Profile dcagney   IP Logged
SeaFoam
Peter Pan

the wallpaper is a
color called...

Reply #13 - 02/01/04 at 21:54:38

FIRST POST...

I was introduced to Patty through my sister.  She had been raving about her and raving about Terri Nunn in the same sentance... so since I knew I wasn't big into Terri, I passed on Patty.

Then The Chicks did some PG songs and I started to like the lyrics.  I ended up picking up a LWG advance CD for a buck at a CD Warehouse that was closing and Listened passively.

It wasn't untill Thanksgiving 2003 that my sister made me some copies of her CD's did I get hooked.

I'd have to say that "Sorry & Sad" is the song that really roped me in and got me hooked.  I've since discoverd that my favorites at this point include Silver Bell, Tony, Christina, Mary, Flaming Red, Let Him Fly, Rain and of course Sorry & Sad.

And yes, please don't yell at me, I'm planning on BUYING all of the CD's legitimately.  I want to support Patty and her music, and I know that especially without being mainstream - ever CD sale counts.

My only concern is:  The A&M releases - will Patty still get a healthy cut of the proceeds even though she's not still on the label.  I would imagine that since she's the song writer, she's gonna be fine with sales from her old CD's, but incase there's a better, more direct way to support Patty - then I'd rather do that.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
solesearching
Little God

Reply #14 - 02/02/04 at 16:45:42

I first heard Let Him Fly on a Sunday night radio show here in Detroit back in 96 and I fell in love instantly.  I ran out the next afternoon and bought the album.  

I have yet to see Patty live, even though she has played in Michigan many times.  Hopefully she will come to Michigan if/when she tours for her new album.

View Profile   IP Logged
LeeAnneJ

Reply #15 - 03/28/04 at 22:39:29

I fell in love with Patty after I heard Let Him Fly. I had just broken up with my first love, and was in the midst of trying to let it all go. The way she explains the difficulty in dealing with matters of the heart is so beautiful. I then heard the song Rain, and it changed the way I listened to music forever. Patty soothes my soul. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to her music. I don't think that any other musician has moved me to tears so many times, even after hearing the words hundreds of times. Patty, thank you for being genuine, passionate, and inspiring!

View Profile   IP Logged
PattyChick13
Little God

Oh, wouldn't it be
scary just being
ordinary?

Reply #16 - 03/31/04 at 17:26:18

I first heard of Patty from the Dixie Chicks. They covered 'Let Him Fly' (where I first found out about Patty, but never really looked into her), 'Top of the World' (which started making me a fan), and Truth No. 2 (which really got me into Patty). I also read in Country Weekly in the CD recommendation section that 'If you like the Dixie Chicks' "Home", then you will like Patty Griffin's "1,000 Kisses"'. They were right!

Locke

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 04/03/04 at 15:01:51

The first PG song that I ever encountered was The Long Ride Home while browsing through some internet radio stations. Intrigued, I did a lil' digging and came across Rain... My God, that song must have been written just for me. Made of Clay was my next discovery. The raw emotion she puts into her music awes and inspires me. It's always been my belief that a good song stripped of music is a great poem, and sans lyrics a great tune. She combines the two masterfully. She's playing a show in Cinci this year and you can bet I plan to be there

View Profile   IP Logged
Iowa

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 04/06/04 at 11:20:31

My introduction to Patty's music had to have some kind of karma influence.  

I loved Patty's music long before I even knew it was her.  I loved Let Him Fly and Truth No. 2, but didn't realize the songwriter was an artist herself.  I then saw Chief on CMT and liked it as well. I could just see the wealth of talent and she gave off an old soul kind of  aura right through the tv. I was captivated by this song that was so different than the rest of the pop-country music that CMT and Nashville keep force feeding us.  I simply loved it and her style.

Then I caught her on Jack Ingram's cd singing back up and said "That's IT!! I'm buying her cd." and I bought 1000 Kisses and loved it.  After that, I started making the connections. I promptly bought Flaming Red and Living With Ghosts for my birthday - which I found out after the fact  is the same day as Patty's - March 16th.    

Patty just kept re-appearing in many forms and ways and I had no choice.  I was destined to fall in love with her music.

View Profile   IP Logged
Robert Richardson

Reply #19 - 04/07/04 at 22:47:36

My brother first introduced me to Patty shortly after LWG came out.  I really enjoyed Every Little Bit, Sweet Lorraine and You Are Not Alone.  At that point in my life I was more interested in grunge and rock than anything else, but I remember acknowledging that she was talented and I enjoyed her voice.
It wasn't until years later that I got hooked.
I was driving out the beach in North Carolina with my friend Julie.  We were listening to the Lilith Fair CD and I saw that Patty was on their with a song I had never heard before...Cain.
At this point in my life I was starting to get into chick music (not to say feminine music, but music made by females) like Tori Amos and Ani DiFranco so I was more open to Patty.
I remember hearing the first bit of Cain and getting a very large smile on my face as I turned the volume up, way up.  It was a bright Carolina day, probably somewhere in the 70's, blue skies and I'm driving to the beach (after living many years in Chicago the beach is a wonderful place to be) and I'm with this amazing girl.
We were jammin along to Cain and I was totally speechless.  At the end of the song when she really gets into it, I had squirmed around in ectasy in my seat so much that I was practically under the dashboard.
I'll never forget that day and that moment and I will be a Patty fan for life.

Email   IP Logged
waffles
Big Daddy

Reply #20 - 04/14/04 at 22:44:07

I moved from rural Pennsylvania, where people don't come to perform, to Minneapolis.  As a gift, my aunt bought me tickets to see Shawn COlvin (this is I think 97 or 96).  I was really excited, and while waiting for her to get ready on the night of the show, she handed me Living With Ghosts and said that this was the person opening for Shawn, I should put it in to get us pumped for the concert.  I put it in, pressed play and the minute "Diamonds, roses" hit my ears, I was emotionally on my knees.  I knew that I was experiencing something beyond this world and Patty's painfully shy performance is still the best concert I've seen.  I love Shawn, but after Patty I had no interest in hearing her, I wanted more Patty.

Turk145
Big Daddy

Reply #21 - 05/02/04 at 21:57:24

...my brother made a compilation tape of different artists. Patty sang w/Ellis Paul, "Conversations with a Ghost" was my 1st exposure to PG. What a brilliant piece of work. "Sweet Lorraine" followed. After 10 years, I still love it.
  The movie "Niagara, Niagara" gave me "You Are Not Alone" Patty is a Godsend for we who find strength in nostalgic memories combined w/the hard truths in life.  
    Austin City Limits w/PG doing TOTW was too good.
"Rain" and "Making Pies" still make me cry. My current obsession is "Useless Desires"
     .....Every day I take a bitter pill that gets me on my way. For the little aches and pains, the ones I have from day to day. To help me think a little less about the things I miss. To help me not to wonder how I ended up like this.....
     Patty is a genius to me. I can't wait to see her again this August in Atlanta w/Emmy and gang.

View Profile   IP Logged
vineviz
Peter Pan

Reply #22 - 05/04/04 at 09:46:33

Quote from SeaFoam   on 02/01/04 at 21:54:38:

My only concern is:  The A&M releases - will Patty still get a healthy cut of the proceeds even though she's not still on the label.  I would imagine that since she's the song writer, she's gonna be fine with sales from her old CD's, but incase there's a better, more direct way to support Patty - then I'd rather do that.

Generally, the profits from CD sales flow to the artist without regard to whether they are currently under contract.  If you are trying to decide which albums to buy first, I'd guess that the economics from the more current releases are probably more favorable to Patty but that is mere speculation.

Also I'd guess that if you order through her site at MusicToday (http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=944&band%5Fid=399 that Patty might get a portion of the "distribution" profit, but again this is mere speculation.  In any event, I can't imagine any other way of acquiring the CDs would help Patty any more.

marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #23 - 05/05/04 at 03:23:01

If anyone wants to read more interesting "how I discovered Patty" stories on this site, go to this link:  

http://www.pattygriffin.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gener;action=display;num =1059787271;start=0#0

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
fanatic97

Reply #24 - 05/10/04 at 00:52:34

All I can say is, Thank God for the Dixie Chicks.  

I was introduced to Patty Griffin with the Dixie Chicks cover of "Let Him Fly."  I sat listening to that song on repeat for days, wishing I'd had this song to help me through heartbreak when I was in college.  

Next came the Dixie Chicks singing "Top of the World."  That was it -- I was at the nearest Barnes & Noble the next day to listen to all the Patty Griffin I could find.  1000 Kisses was the first album I listened to.  "Long Ride Home" let me know I had to buy the CD, and "Nobody's Cryin'" let me know I'd love this artist for life.  Only Sarah McLachlan's music has ever absorbed me so completely.  

I still don't own "Living With Ghosts," but I'll buy it soon.  Promise!  In the meantime, I have "When It Don't Come Easy" on repeat.  ....And I continue to thank God for the Dixie Chicks, and Patty.   Smiley

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Recent Posts    
Preferences

Re: Philly April 4th? by murph in gener
04/05/19 at 11:37:16

Patty's New CD and She talks about Breast Cancer, by murph in news
01/11/19 at 13:28:09

NPR's Top 150 CD's of all time by female artist by murph in news
07/24/17 at 14:35:33

Turk Rogers by murph in news