Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
04/19/19 at 11:39:47
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nobody's Crying? (Read 14769 times)
ScottG40
Mother of God

Reflections that
told you that they
were not there

Nobody's Crying?
08/16/03 at 02:31:36

Hello All,

I come to you, seemingly lucid, after ten or so beers and having just listened to Nobody's Crying about five times in a row.... So, all apololgies for any typos or rambling, but I just had to share my feelings at this moment.

I consider my life nothing more than a collection of experiences and I'm continiously adding to the list of people that I feel grateful for having had the opportunity to walk this earth with. Patty is near the top of my list. How is it that I feel such a connection with someone I've never met? As a 25+ year, cynical, at times, fire breathing atheist, I swear she has shaken my beliefs to their core. At times she seems like a message from God himself trying to wake me from some sort of day dream. Are we ever more alive than when we're recognizing absolute beauty? She is part of me forever now and I am so grateful.

I've had the great fortune to experience some incredible human art in my 40 years.... Michelangelo, van Gogh, Bernini, etc, and I feel Patty is absolutely on that level. As far as I'm concerned NASA could put her voice and words on the next probe bound for deep space...

(long pause)

Well Hell, my thoughts are colliding and I can't seem to type straight so I'm off to bed. The kids will be up at 7:30 wanting to watch Clifford. I hope some of what I wrote makes sense to someone... Never forget, we're all part of something very special.

Scott

View Profile   IP Logged
donhenn
Big Daddy

What , me worry ?

Re: Nobody's Crying?
Reply #1 - 08/16/03 at 13:23:18

Great post , Scott. Have another beer : )

Only time the truth gets told
Is when it's surfaced by a drink

Patty Griffin

"When Something's Broken"

In vino veritas
(In wine , truth )

Pliny the Elder
A.D. 23-79

Roman naturalist , encyclopedist & writer

Don

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Janet

Reply #2 - 08/19/03 at 14:50:25

undecided

Oh Scott..........me too.
jj

Email   IP Logged
PJ

Reply #3 - 08/19/03 at 22:01:12

I know this may sound silly, but I think "Nobody's Crying" may be the best song I have ever heard. EVER. I am definitely becoming a Patty Griffin fan, but some of her stuff is great, and some of it I could take it or leave it.  But she has a few songs that are incredible, and this song absolutely stopped me in my tracks!  I also love "You Never Get What You Want".  I feel like everytime I hear one of her songs, something new strikes me about the tune.  She is an unbelievable talent.

Email   IP Logged
marybeth
Big Daddy

Reply #4 - 09/18/03 at 10:37:29

Nobody's Crying is definitely up there with her best songs. I remember listening to it one night in the car and it was liked it reached out and grabbed me.

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people wanna know what it feels like to fly

http://www.marybethdamico.com

View Profile   IP Logged
truelover
Little God

'Are we ever more alive than when   . . .
Reply #5 - 12/02/03 at 20:32:35

we're recognizing absolute beauty? '  - - - -  This is an  utterly superb and valid sentiment, Scott, and I agree one-hundred percent.  No one whom I've encountered on this planet personifies absolute beauty any more purely or profoundly than Patty does.  Welcome to heaven on earth, fellow seeker.

« Last Edit: 12/02/03 at 20:48:01 by truelover »  
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ScottG40
Mother of God

Reflections that
told you that they
were not there

Reply #6 - 12/04/03 at 12:57:37

After just having read the Patty interview in the thread concerning religious rebelliousness I noticed that I used the phrase "God himself" in opening this thread. Ouch.

I guess that's the Catholicism from my early years rearing its head. Funny.

View Profile   IP Logged
spencey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/05/03 at 00:01:04

i LOVE nobody's crying.  reminds me of a girl i dated this summer.  she had huge issues and all i ever wanted was for her was to be ok.  but her past is holding her down.  i can't even explain the connection i make with this song to that relationship.  but the song seems to fit her and her life.

IP Logged
katajak
Mother of God

Reply #8 - 12/08/03 at 10:55:19

Wow, it's sharing time today.  Smiley

1000 Kisses came out several months before I made the big jump moving from Denver, CO to New York City.  I was casually dating two people at the time (one slightly before the other, in case there are any cries of "wh*re!" to be heard), and although I knew any kind of relationship wouldn't/couldn't survive the move, there's that part of you that wonders a bit......  Anyway, the first one started out fine and then he bugged out (closeted military guy = fun!), and the second had gotten out of a long-term relationship several months before and felt defeated in making any kind of relationship work; he was also hung-up on his ex, which is never a good thing.  The fact that the first one lived in Austin (where we met) and then the way things proceeded to play out created a direct association to the song "Rain", and the second fit perfectly into "Nobody's Crying".

So time goes on, all communication is lost, I currently find myself in a wonderful long-term relationsihip, but every time I hear either song my mind briefly goes back to those two decent, damaged people and the pain we all carry around with us.  It's amazing that more than any other form of media, I can always place what was going on with me, other people, etc. complete with obscure visual flashes when I hear a familiar song.  I'm sure this is the same with a lot of people, but the vividness of it all surprised me again over the weekend as I listened to some cds that I hadn't heard in a few years.

Ugh, was that gushy?  Sorry.  I guess it's that I listen to *a lot* of music - always have - and Patty is the first person who really gets it right on every front (for me).  Hopefully she's finally at a record label that will support her and let her release records, because that space between Flaming Red and 1000 Kisses was just *painful*.

I'm done.  Smiley

Patrick

View Profile   IP Logged
Cunninglinguist
Peter Pan

I Love Patty's
Music!

Reply #9 - 08/02/06 at 15:12:10

For me, this song captures precisely what can happen when we really love someone who is incapable of returning -- or even appreciating -- that love. It dredges up a plethora of overwhelming emotions that can take years -- if not a lifetime -- to purge.

docjake
Little God

It's a wondrous
world of ridiculous
things!

Reply #10 - 08/03/06 at 00:37:13

Or, precisely what can happen when you allow a severely and tragically injured soul into your life with the misguided and egotistical notion that you can "help" them but they mistake your sympathy or martyr syndrome for love and you find yourself loathing someone you do actually care about for 8 years before mustering the courage your weak-willed, self-doubting, guilt-ridden and pathetic ego needs to cut them loose.  And then standing there in the driveway after loading up the U-Haul, waiting impatiently for them to please, dear god, just leave, and feeling that wave of relief as you watch the tear-puffed face and haunted eyes get far enough away that you no longer have to see them drowned out by a sick feeling of worry for them and shame at your relief.  And knowing that all you ever wanted was to quiet those voices that filled them with dread and that angel thing as well.  And hoping fervently that your push was in the right direction and not a push over the edge of the abyss.  But wishing on both sides brings nothing but wishes.  But I still hope.  I still hope.
You know what I mean?

Cunninglinguist
Peter Pan

I Love Patty's
Music!

Reply #11 - 08/03/06 at 06:38:58

Quote from docjake on 08/03/06 at 00:37:13:
Or, precisely what can happen when you allow a severely and tragically injured soul into your life with the misguided and egotistical notion that you can "help" them but they mistake your sympathy or martyr syndrome for love and you find yourself loathing someone you do actually care about for 8 years before mustering the courage your weak-willed, self-doubting, guilt-ridden and pathetic ego needs to cut them loose.  And then standing there in the driveway after loading up the U-Haul, waiting impatiently for them to please, dear god, just leave, and feeling that wave of relief as you watch the tear-puffed face and haunted eyes get far enough away that you no longer have to see them drowned out by a sick feeling of worry for them and shame at your relief.  And knowing that all you ever wanted was to quiet those voices that filled them with dread and that angel thing as well.  And hoping fervently that your push was in the right direction and not a push over the edge of the abyss.  But wishing on both sides brings nothing but wishes.  But I still hope.  I still hope.
You know what I mean?
Everything except for the "weak-willed, self-doubting, guilt-ridden, and pathetic ego" part.  Wink (My ego is way too proud to ever accept that stuff. LOL)

But seriously...yep...it has a hauntingly familiar -- almost voyeuristic -- feel to it; as if you've been standing on your tiptoes, peeking into the windows of our souls, very late at night.  

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we choose to stay beyond the point we know we should leave.

Evil_Gary
Little God

Tossed from
mad-mission yet
again!!

Reply #12 - 08/03/06 at 20:01:04

One of the great breaks of all time when she goes to........  

"May the dream you are dreaming, in a warm soft bed
May the voices inside you that fill you with dread
Sound like thousands of angels instead
Tonight where you might be laying your head"

Forget about it.   It does not get any better than this!

I broke a blood vessel in my eye singing that part in my car one night. LMAO!
True story.

Email View Profile Evil Evil_Yo   IP Logged
Cunninglinguist
Peter Pan

I Love Patty's
Music!

Reply #13 - 08/03/06 at 22:35:31

Quote from Evil_Gary on 08/03/06 at 20:01:04:
One of the great breaks of all time when she goes to........  

"May the dream you are dreaming, in a warm soft bed
May the voices inside you that fill you with dread
Sound like thousands of angels instead
Tonight where you might be laying your head"

Forget about it.   It does not get any better than this!

I broke a blood vessel in my eye singing that part in my car one night. LMAO!
True story.

Ouch! But I agree -- I was singing this song earlier. And I kept going back to those lines so I could sing em over and over.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c