Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
12/15/17 at 10:10:09
News:
Home Help Search Login

News | Bio | Press | Photos | In Concert | Discography | Tabs | Media | About | Links | Lyrics | Mad Mission

Listen to the Singer Songwriter Tour gals sing "I Want It That Way"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silver Bell officially being released (Read 5953 times)
rob68
Little God

alone and alive

Silver Bell officially being released
10/08/13 at 00:47:44

Where did the other thread go?

Didn't get my CD in the mail yet, but got my Amazon Auto-Rip mp3s tonight. Compared to the original version we all know, in this new mix there's an edit in Little God. She repeats the last line in the title track 3 times at the end. Top Of The World is over a minute shorter....part of Patty's mother singing Au Ciel is edited out. The background singers in Driving are unfortunately mixed louder. Mother Of God is nearly 2 minutes shorter....it doesn't have the dreamy music at the end that so brilliantly went into One More Girl on the original version. A couple other songs are slightly shorter and a couple more are slightly longer. Fragile and So Long are nice songs. So Long sounds a little odd as the last track, compared to how great Standing was on the original.

Anyway, there's a Billboard article from a week or two ago that sort of implies that Patty was involved in this release, so even though I don't like it as well as the original, I'm happy to have this official version. Maybe the CD liner notes will shed more light.  

« Last Edit: 10/08/13 at 00:53:30 by rob68 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
itchysun
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Silver Bell officially being released
Reply #1 - 10/08/13 at 09:29:21

I didn't get my copy from amazon today but im listening to the mp3s they let you have on day of release.  and I have to say im disappointed to say the least.  To take the end of mother of god out that leads into one more girl is like a sin.  those songs lead so beautiful into each other.  im so happy we still have the older version.  top of the world...so much shorter....they removed that soldier war sounding snare drum from the end which I loved....once again so happy we have the older version of this album.  they really could have mixed this album into something great but I feel they took out the things that made it beautiful and so unique.  this is just my OPINION.  that's all it is.  im just upset that I was all cuddled up ready to hear these songs sounding amazing and hear what I love about them and maybe some new things I love...but they removed the two things I loved about the album the most.  but I gotta give the rest of it a chance...that's all you can do.  give it a chance.  im so happy its released but the changes I've seen so far, were now to me mistakes.  just my opinion.  please don't attack as I know many of you most likely loved these things as well.  the transition of mother of god to one more girl being gone is just ....so upsetting.  but ...we still have our 2000  thanks for that.  well take care everyone and enjoy the album.  im gonna enjoy it and maybe make a mix  and put my favs of the old in with the favs of the new.  later guys and gals.

View Profile itchysun   IP Logged
rob68
Little God

alone and alive

Reply #2 - 10/09/13 at 22:44:53

Got the CD today. There's a paragraph written by Patty in the liner notes, dated July 2013.  

Among other things, she says "thirteen years after it's recording it is being released commercially for the first time with brand new mixes from the legendary Glyn Johns, who has managed to rescue large portions of it from the trends of it's day, and for me, has breathed some new life into the time capsule known as Silver Bell."

So apparently she approves of this new mix.

I wonder if old Glyn also heard the tape drag that slows down the last 25 seconds of One More Girl. I heard this when I played the mp3s, but it's also on the CD.  

Well, I will keep this CD mainly for the 2 songs that don't appear anywhere else, but when I want to really hear the real, original Silver Bell, out will come my old CD-R.

View Profile   IP Logged
itchysun
Peter Pan

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/10/13 at 12:23:06

I agree with the post above...i'll listen to the new cd for the new tracks..but the songs I've grown to love over the last decade..i'll listen to my cdr  I really wish there were things on the album that were on the original.  I love the impossible dream version of "mother of god"  its a toss up which I like better, original or that one.  but for sure the original mix of top of the world will always be my favorite.  I hate they took the snare out like I said before...it ends the song so well.  but there are so many versions of the song now, and i'd love to pick out parts and make my own personal favorite top of the world.  but that won't happen.  my cd will be here tomorrow.  im excited to have it in my hands.

View Profile itchysun   IP Logged
SteveD
Peter Pan

I hate to tell you
baby, this is home

Reply #4 - 10/11/13 at 12:48:29

I am surprised that any of you don't immediately hear how this official release sounds so much better than the old bootleg. Play it on a good home stereo with good speakers and you'll probably agree.  

The bootleg in contrast had so many tracks that sounded like mp3s - essentially sounding like the guts were ripped out.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Hekerui
How do I get Silver Bell?

I really love Patty!

Reply #5 - 10/14/13 at 19:31:47

I'll agree with StevenD here, the new sound is so much better, I think the release is great.

View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Reply #6 - 03/13/14 at 20:16:39

if you get a chance go to NPR or xpn and listen to the World Café show with Patty where she discusses Silver Bell.  

Great short story on how she had the masters all along.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
murph
Big Daddy

Reply #7 - 03/13/14 at 20:17:14

Quote from murph on 03/13/14 at 20:16:39:
if you get a chance go to NPR or xpn and listen to the World Café show with Patty where she discusses Silver Bell.

Great short story on how she had the masters all along.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

P
r
e
f
e
r
e
n
c